OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Side by Side 20 experience?

Started by ShortMagFan, May 04, 2020, 08:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShortMagFan

Have always loved a side by side as a turkey gun

Given the availability of TSS I think this season will be my last using a 12ga so I'm thinking of selling the tricked out SBE2 to free up funds for a SxS 20 ga to go with the tricked out M2 20

I'm thinking cerakote on the metal, dipping and shortening the stock and mounting a FF3. My primary concern/hold up is POI being different between the barrels. But I'm hoping I can compensate for that by building the gun for pattern consistency at 40 as opposed to trying to build something to kill further

While I wouldn't do this to a $3000+ Beretta Silver Hawk I'm also not going to go cheap on the gun either.

Doing some quick google research turned up the Stoeger Longfowler and CZ Sharptail as potential starting points.

Would love to hear of anyone relevant experience and pictures of your SxSs always welcome

Bowguy

Ok so you understand any double barrels have slightly diff poi. Understand too it's can be worse to much worse w cheap guns like the stoeger. More expensive guns are closer due to a more painstaking aligning.  I'd never recommend the stoeger. 
Also bear in mind many extended chokes don't fit in double barrels.
Imo if you want cheap go for a mossberg pump or something like that. It'll actually work good. 
Also be careful if you happen to go to an older gun that couldn't handle modern pressure.
What would shortening a stock do?? (Save for needing a shorter lop)  Guns must fit, nothing is gained cramping yourself up no matter the popularity.  Things to consider.

ShortMagFan

Yeah I'm not going the cheap route. Been there done that with SxSs and it isn't worth it with different POI. I'd welcome suggestions for a quality SxS 20ga starting point that will hopefully minimize POI differences

Shortening the stock is due to me generally having short arms as well as wanting to make this gun, as a dedicated turkey gun, as maneuverable as possible. The LOP difference between my sons M2 20ga compact and my SBE2 is noticeable and the difference between "just a little too long" and "just right"

Bowguy

Makes sense. I really can't comfortably recommend one. Ya gotta watch asking someone you don't know, you don't know what they don't know.

Mossyballs

I've considered the same thing less the ff3.
I am considering the cz bobwhite g2 w/ 26" barrel.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: Mossyballs on May 04, 2020, 10:34:27 AM

This is the way to go.

I have a CZ 202 Upland (Bobwhite with a silver receiver) in 20 gauge with 28" barrels and a Bobwhite 28 gauge with 26".

They both shoot the left barrel at 40 and the right barrel at 25 to point of aim with the sights set for the left barrel at 40.

The 28 is my main squeeze and I shoot 1-1/2 ounce of T9's out of her. Killed a bird with the open barrel at 30 yards this year and a bobcat at 10 yards with the open barrel as well.

As far as chokes, in the 20 I use Carlson flush mount. 585 in the left barrel and 600 (improved Modified) in the right. In the 28, extended chokes, Briley XF in the left and Trulock SK1 in the right.

I highly recommend the Bobwhite for what you want.

ShortMagFan

I'm new to CZs. I like the dual triggers of the Bobwhite but the pistol grip stock of the Sharptail

BrowningGuy88

The Upland I have was a special for Jon's sport shop in Wisconsin and it has a a Prince or Wales grip which is rounded.

Yildiz makes or made a 20 gauge pistol grip with double triggers, but I don't know how to find one new.

g8rvet

I searched for a Yildiz double trigger and could only find them in UK for sale.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

crow

I'm hunting with a CZ bobwhite 20ga Gen. 1, I'm shooting a mid bead as my rear sight.

with lead field loads it shoots a very good POA to POI, what I have found in my gun with Fed HVWT or TSS is the right barrel shoots right and the left barrel shoots left, the heavier the payload the more each barrel is off.

I set my gun up to shoot the right barrel with a 1.25oz pheasant load or a 1oz TSS load, both of these shoots POA to POI, the pheasant load will get you to 35yds, the 1oz TSS #9 load will get you a good bit past 40yds

In the left barrel by dropping a 1 5/8oz load down to a 1 7/16th oz load of TSS and a little choke filing it
shoots to POA and has a 10" pattern that will go way past where I would shoot a turkey

left barrel has an ext. trulock .571, right barrel has an ext. Carlson .575
in the CZ 20 ga. bobwhite barrels you can shoot 2 extended Trulocks, 2 extended Carlsons, or mix them.

from what I've read some CZ bobwhite shooters got where they wanted to be with TSS and flush mount chokes, I did not and went with the ext. chokes

my trigger pulls were heavy, they broke crisp, but heavy, CZ will work on them under warranty for you.
With the recoil from a 3" 1 5/8 0z. turkey load the prince of whales stock might have the edge, but the English strait grip stock hasn't been an issue.

if you found an old double that you like, there are low pressure TSS loads available.
I've shot TSS and HVWT (in small pellet sizes) in several older guns with no barrel/choke damage, or scratches/scouring of the bore.

Jstocks

Quote from: Mossyballs on May 04, 2020, 10:34:27 AM

Does the g2 come in a 26" barrel option?

Ranman

btomlin

sounds like you could use a CZ Bobwhite all-terrain.  I think they come with a green cerokate finish and swivel studs from the factory.  Dual trigger like a SxS should be set up.

I have a straight stocked cz upland that I bought from Jon's sporting goods.  I have busted a lot of pheasant and quail with it over the past 8 yrs.  Sent back to CZ for warranty trigger work as the trigger poundage was more than the weight of the gun.  It came back really nice.  One of my fav bird guns.

shatcher

The side by sides are fun to fool with.  Set up right, very diverse.

owlhoot

Quote from: crow on May 04, 2020, 02:15:17 PM
I'm hunting with a CZ bobwhite 20ga Gen. 1, I'm shooting a mid bead as my rear sight.

with lead field loads it shoots a very good POA to POI, what I have found in my gun with Fed HVWT or TSS is the right barrel shoots right and the left barrel shoots left, the heavier the payload the more each barrel is off.

I set my gun up to shoot the right barrel with a 1.25oz pheasant load or a 1oz TSS load, both of these shoots POA to POI, the pheasant load will get you to 35yds, the 1oz TSS #9 load will get you a good bit past 40yds

In the left barrel by dropping a 1 5/8oz load down to a 1 7/16th oz load of TSS and a little choke filing it
shoots to POA and has a 10" pattern that will go way past where I would shoot a turkey

left barrel has an ext. trulock .571, right barrel has an ext. Carlson .575
in the CZ 20 ga. bobwhite barrels you can shoot 2 extended Trulocks, 2 extended Carlsons, or mix them.

from what I've read some CZ bobwhite shooters got where they wanted to be with TSS and flush mount chokes, I did not and went with the ext. chokes

my trigger pulls were heavy, they broke crisp, but heavy, CZ will work on them under warranty for you.
With the recoil from a 3" 1 5/8 0z. turkey load the prince of whales stock might have the edge, but the English strait grip stock hasn't been an issue.

if you found an old double that you like, there are low pressure TSS loads available.
I've shot TSS and HVWT (in small pellet sizes) in several older guns with no barrel/choke damage, or scratches/scouring of the bore.

Thanks for the detailed info crow. My G1 is so darn purty though , i don't want to camo it.