OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pot call please help  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Southerngobbler

Pot call please help
« on: May 01, 2020, 12:38:52 PM »
I have never been much of a pot call guy but am beginning to learn to appreciate them. I have been watching you guys for a while trying to figure them out. I got my first pot call only kill this year and it has spurred me to get a good high end call. I used a wet wonder from Enticer game calls.
I have a pretty good collection of box calls, trumpets and scratch boxes but would like to add a high end pot-for hunting but also for it's collectible value.
Can ya'll recommend a call maker that I can reasonable expect to get a call from within a few years. From what i have read here on OG Platz is out; what about Corder, Brad Robert or Rodger Parks? or anyone else. I don't expect anything for this season but maybe next season.
The only pots a have now are: Wet wonder from Enticer. A ceramic from stumpy, a crystal mistress and a bunch of production slates. The first three I can play pretty good, the slates I can play well in my house but they rarely ever work for me in the woods-I suspect its from the humidity here in the south.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
Re: Pot call please help
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 12:41:19 PM »
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 12:54:32 PM »
I will chip in my 2 cents here. I like having 2 of every surface that I prefer and have confidence in. For me it is Crystal, slate, green slate, ceramic and aluminum.

I think you have a great start and even finish collection of pots with the Enticer, Stumpy and the Halloran CM.

Sounds like you are leaning toward a custom made slate. I think that is a good direction as it will serve you well with your other pots.

Corder, Roberts and Parks make dynamite calls. Corder and Roberts make take a while to get.
Roger's slates are fantastic and somewhat readily available. I will also throw in there Footballer on OG, Paul Hicks on OG and Twyatt on OG for slates and Buster Halford. Dustin Jones and Mark Cornelius make fantastic calls but will have a little bit of a wait even after the season is over. Don't discount Paul Durham either! David Halloran's wenge and walnut is a great slate IMO. Wendell Rye Lights out makes a very nice slate too.

I know I have left a few off of here and other guys will chime in with some great options too.

Phil 4:13

Offline MDTOM84

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 01:47:29 PM »
Talk to Paul Hicks aka Daddyrat on here and tell him what you want.

Offline 2nd 100

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 01:49:15 PM »
Hallorans are always a favorite. Supreme Turkey Calls , Steve Reeves makes a dang good one but it may be a 2 yr wait thesedays . Clay Townsend at Shag Hill really showed out this yr at Nashville and I ran about everything he had on his table at Nashville and there wasn't a dud in the bunch .

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 09:26:33 PM »
Mark Cornelius - Mac Calls, Buster - larry Halford and Clay Townsend his osage glass over slate is outstanding.

Offline Gog1015

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 10:08:05 PM »
 Larry Buster Halford and MAC, ceramic and slate are very forgiving.

Offline Wigsplitter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 11:26:46 PM »
Buster halford or jimmy Shaffer

Offline Triple B

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 11:21:43 PM »
If your slate goes flat from the humidity, for a quick fix, just take
A plain old bic lighter,and hold the slate surface just above the flame,in the center of the pot.You can literally watch the moisture disappear, to the outside
of the pot.

Offline Buckrub

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 01:46:54 PM »
   My vote goes to John Sinclair !! Go to his website, you can pick from "assembled calls" or he's got a "build your own call" inventory as well. Go to "John Sinclair Custom Calls" and check them out. You won't be disappointed !!!

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 07:09:24 PM »
Paul Hicks. Very responsive, great guy, great calls at good prices. He is “Daddy Rat” on the forum. Pm him, he will respond....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 07:10:25 PM »
Sorry, have to add Mike Yingling, and Footballer too. Very good calls....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 09:34:01 PM »
All great guys. If you want a gray slate , I would highly recommend a Cody World Class. It just plain works.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline spiggy2

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 12:35:29 PM »
Seconded Mike Yingling, made a custom call for me that I gave to my brother for his birthday. His copper calls can sing. Another one is Sadler McGraw Custom calls. Have three of his calls (2 crystals and a slate) and all three sound great.
"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux