OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How would you hunt

Started by Dep, May 01, 2020, 11:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dep

Ok guys I'm hunting public land where the only access is from the valley of the mountain.  It's about 800 yards to the toe of the mountain. As you walk there, you pass through about 2.5 acres of a white pine grove followed up by a recent logging operation. All of this is surrounded by mature hard woods. I'd like to get your opinion on where you'd set up. Thanks in advance for any replies.

GobbleNut

I would set up roughly 100 yards from where I heard the first turkey gobble.  :)

Turkeytider

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 01, 2020, 12:51:44 PM
I would set up roughly 100 yards from where I heard the first turkey gobble.  :)

Bingo!

AppalachianHollers

I think in mature timber you're going to have to base where you set up to listen for gobbles on topography and distance from water sources. Clear cuts can become decent nesting areas eventually, but whether to hunt near them depends almost entirely on what stage of successional growth they're at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 01, 2020, 12:51:44 PM
Short and to the point....  And spot on.

Only thing I will say, is that I will go out of my way to remain out of view of the bird on the limb...  I would also attempt to set up where the bird has access to get to me (i.e. I would not want a physical barrier such as rocky terrain or a river between me and the bird).

I'd rather set up 200 yards from the bird where he has easy access, rather than 50 yards across a stream or river....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.