OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ithaca 410 sxs

Started by gobblenomore, April 30, 2020, 09:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblenomore

Grandfather gave me this gun over 50 years ago. It is full and full. I want to turkey hunt with it some next year. Im not interested in having any work done to it. Shooting tss 9s could I expect a 30yd killing pattern?

BrowningGuy88

Probably so.

My experience with 410 is lead 7.5's in a full choke get me between 25 and 30 yards

gobblenomore

knifeshark

You most certainly could expect that and more, I'm using a 40-year-old 870 wing master full choke lightweight and I just shot a gobbler this morning at 40 yards. Try the 13/16 ounce nine shot load in your gun. Happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liv2hnt

I would try 9s, 9.5s and 10s.  I am betting the 9.5s patter better for you.

I shoot 10s out of both of my 410s and have killed several birds in the 40-43 yard range.

Good luck.

gobblergls

It is important to know chamber length on your .410.  If not marked, here are the lengths.  In 1926 the NID .410 was chambered for 2.5" until 1931 when it was chambered 2 7/8".  In 1935, 3".  Determine the year of mfg.:
https://ithacagun.com/serial-numbers/
Hopefully it is an NID which can handle modern loads.  If it's a Flues, I dunno about the pressures from TSS loads.   If it's a shorter chamber, especially the 2 7/8" length, you can order brass from RMC cut to that length and it will hold any load designed for TSS and the TPS wad.  I load brass for my .410 and I have over 1/4" or more clear from the top of the OSC to the mouth of the 3" hulls I use.  Let us know what year your gun and chamber length is.  Sounds like a great family heirloom. Gil

howl

I wouldn't do TSS in an heirloom for the chance of scoring the barrels. Half the choked I've used with the stuff bear marks.

30 yards should be no problems with lead 7.5s if you fire both barrels at once

gobblergls

I haven't noticed scoring in any of my older guns, but if that is a concern, don't do it.  The late Kenny Morgan killed a bunch of birds with his double .410 and he shot both barrels at once by pulling the front trigger with a cork between the triggers.  If it's a 3", there are lead loads of 3/4" oz in 7.5".  Shoot the distance where you get 80-100 pellets in a 10" circle.  That's your limit of range for a hitting something vital in the head and neck.  I don't recommend firing both barrels at once.  You've got old wood in that gun that might have a problem with 1.5 oz. shot at once with the resulting recoil. Gil

treein dixie

30 yes 40 not likely but I'd test it first