OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Which pump?? Benelli nova or Winchester sxp  (Read 1741 times)

Offline ltprod

• The Boss Gobbler
Which pump?? Benelli nova or Winchester sxp
« on: April 30, 2020, 08:46:49 PM »
Pros/Cons
Opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
Re: Which pump?? Benelli nova or Winchester sxp
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 09:23:26 PM »
I went with a 28” SXP Black Shadow 3.5”, but considered the Nova (mostly because of Benelli’s reputation). What turned me off from the latter is honestly how loud and clunky it is. Cycles loud and rattles badly. But I’m sure it’s otherwise reliable and would make a great upland/waterfowl combo gun.

The SXP also has better back bore (which I notice when shooting clays, especially). And I love the assisted ejection. A turkey load automatically ejects even when holding the slide, so follow-up shots can be quicker.

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 09:26:25 PM »
As for SXP cons, I got a long a barrel for turkey hunting with an extended choke. The finish also scratches easy on the Black Shadow.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 12:03:27 PM »
I can recommend the Benelli Nova 20 ga.  I have the 24" barrel full camo version.  Nice and light.  I had the receiver drilled for scope mount.   I installed a Bushnell TRS 25 and bought a Hevi-Shot brand .573 ported choke tube.   Shooting Hevi-Shot Magnum Blends.   Patterns good.   I really do not have much problem with rattles. IMO it is not loud or clunky.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!