turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone with astigmatism help.....

Started by Grizzly Johnson, February 25, 2020, 03:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzly Johnson

I am looking at setting up a dedicated turkey rig for a person suffering from astigmatism. A bead has been used in years past but looking at possibly a red dot type sight.... I have read a few threads on here with comments here and there but need some focused input.

So I have looked over the red dots like the RMR type footprints... Trijicon, Swampfox, Holosun.... to use with the Scalarworks type mount for a very low profile. I have also looked at the Vortex Spitfire as someone suggested in another thread.... something similar that will work with an EGW pictinny rail....

My main concerns are the lighting conditions where dot "washout" could occur and battery life.... which on most sights today seem to be on the long side.

Gun is a Stoeger M3500

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Jroddc

I have severe astigmatism and I have both Eotech and Holosun. Both work great but I prefer the Holosun with the green reticle.

Elmerfudd

Grizzly I responded to your similar question in another forum, Im sure you will see. Stay with smaller dot sizes (I have astigmatism) and he will be fine. I agree with above post that Holosun seems to be a very crisp dot and its RMR foot print, fair price point. I really like the built in reticle options on the Holosun - circle dot, just dot and just circle.

I will add re mounts - I literally just received a SumToy mount for my M2 20 gauge and a Scalarworks mount as well. I havent attached either yet and will play with them, decide which one stays on the new 20 gauge and which one goes on my SBE 12. (And assuming the SumToy would fit the SBE) FWIW my initial impressions:

The Scalarworks is an absolute work of art. And it should be absolutely bullet proof with the 4 hole mounting plate. But its 120 bucks. And fits Benelli -Mossberg only. It might fit the Stoeger??? But damn its pretty. Appears to sit the optic about 1/16" lower than SumToy, maybe less. Its main advantage in my mind might be that I can remove the plate and optic as a unit without removing optic and then the plate so I should be able to maintain zero theoretically. Havent tried it yet - will see...

The SumToy isn't as cleanly finished but its also less than half the money so what do you expect? Finish is more than adequate for the purpose. What is impressive about the SumToy is how tightly the base machining matches the M2 receiver contour. And multiple screw hole options will make mounting it a breeze. I would think that for a 1.5oz red dot the two screw mounting system would be more than adequate. Its very trim and the Holosun fit very tightly to the top plate with zero play. Really nice work and especially for the price point. I got a SumToy choke tube and mount for less than the Scalarworks mount alone.

Both systems are light years better than where I was before - weaver base and rail mount adapter for the red dot. These sit much higher regardless of the base you select. I ran this way the last 5 plus years with Burris FF2 and FF3s. The system always worked and I cant say anything bad about the FF3. Also Burris has a 336 plate that will also allow mounting the FF series etc but it needs to be redrilled to fit the standard hole spacing of the weaver pattern base and who needs that headache. There is nothing wrong with the weaver base and rail mount system. It worked fine for me. I just elected to try some different optics and wanted the trimmest package I could get with the mount.

Gog1015

I have astigmatism and I use Burris fast fire 3. It is not perfect but it does good for me.

rdjustham

I have an astigmatism in both eyes.  Stay with a smaller, single dot only and should be fine.  I have a vortex venom, vortex sparc and an aimpoint t-1 all with no issues.  I cant use an eotech due to the flare

Candyman

Vortex Venom for me. The folks at Vortex are top notch and customer service is excellent.

Grizzly Johnson

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it!

howl

Shaped reticles will be sharper because they are projected through a filter to make the shape. That's Leupold and Holosun. Others will be sharp if you turn them down 'til you can just see them. A small dot of any kind won't blur out so much you can't kill a forty yard turkey with it.

savduck

I went with a fairly new sight on the market to help with mine. Called the Swamp Fox Kingslayer. Comes in a green circle dot. More crisp than my burris. Less cost. Own two of them. Love them
Georgia Boy

Elmerfudd

I just bought a kingslayer green circle dot as well. Very anxious to see how the green does vs red. I just mounted a Holosun HS507C on my M2 and am planning to run the circle dot option on it as well. It looks fantastic to my eyes - contacts and astigmatism. Even on brightest setting the dot remains sharp and circular. Very pleased with it. FF3 always did the job for me, just wanting to play with something else.

Bowguy

Quote from: Jroddc on February 25, 2020, 03:44:13 PM
I have severe astigmatism and I have both Eotech and Holosun. Both work great but I prefer the Holosun with the green reticle.
That's about exactly what I'd say/recommend and I too have astigmatism

Grizzly Johnson

TX_Gobbler

I have severe astigmatism where every red dot looks like a starburst to me.  If I turn the brightness down, it's better - but to your point it can wash out in sunlight.  I really haven't had a problem with that while actually hunting though. 

If you get your phone or a camera out and look through it, the dot should be perfectly round. 

If I put a peep sight between my eye and the red dot, the astigmatism goes away and the dot is perfectly clear.  A buddy showed me that on an AR and it was crazy.  Not possible on my shotguns though. 

I have a Benelli M2 21" with the Scalarworks mount and an RMR.  It's currently at Rob Roberts getting dipped in camo.  The Scalarworks mount is super low and allows you to get a great cheekweld on the stock. 

If you have any questions, please message me.  Thanks!