Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Caught with my...

Started by wvmntnhick, May 01, 2020, 08:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

pants down. Called to some birds this morning on a second farm that rarely produces. Birds were 3 farms over with at least 5 fences to cross. No chance, right? Had to get back for work anyway. Had a case of the BG's and knew I wasn't gonna make it back to the truck. Leaned the gun against a log. Moved down a few feet to take care of business. Just finishing up the paperwork and a bird gobbled inside 100 yards. I froze, pants at my ankles. Didn't know what to do but I wasn't gonna scare him. Looked at my gun very slowly realizing it was out of reach. Couple minutes pass and he gobbled again. So close this time I felt it in my chest. Made the hair on my neck stand up. Another minute or so passes and I see him crossing to my left no more than 35 yards away. Needless to say, he won the battle. Still don't think he was one of the distant birds. Pretty sure he came from the woods above me. But it was a good experience either way. Just went back to the truck, grabbed some coffee at a local shop and drove home with a smile on my face. Funniest day of turkey hunting I've ever had I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL-Boss

Happened to me this year.  Mid day driving to different spots.. calling and then moving on.  Pull into one spot.. walked about 20 feet in front of the truck (thick hardwoods on each side of the road)  called once and nothing. Waited a few min.. called again and here comes one lonely mid day gobbler around a corner about 30 yards.  We look at each other in surprise.. then I looked back at the truck that had my gun inside... I hit the ground and army crawled to the truck .. but he nailed me. Lesson learned.. hurt as much as missing a bird....

hookedspur

Oh no ... Poop or get off the pot.  ????
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

wvmntnhick

Quote from: hookedspur on May 01, 2020, 09:09:46 PM
Oh no ... Poop or get off the pot.  ????
That's right. Totally blew my mind. But, it made for a fun morning either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk