OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Favorite Box Call Combo and By Who?  (Read 9177 times)

Offline REBELYELL

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • 601-384-7427
Re: Favorite Box Call Combo and By Who?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2020, 10:12:27 PM »
I love Marlins fiddle boxes and I rotate several, favorite is probably Walnut over Mineral Poplar. But, the most realistic sounding call I own is an Albert Paul pocket call in Snakewood over Holly. That thing spits feathers on both sides.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:21:58 AM by REBELYELL »

Offline tlh2865

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2020, 09:32:18 AM »
I'd like to get Tj's number if somebody could pm me that

Offline MikeStaten

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2020, 10:08:17 AM »
I'd like to get Tj's number if somebody could pm me that

He’s on Facebook.  If you message him, he’ll get back to you quickly.

Offline savannahrivergoobler

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2020, 06:39:32 AM »
If someone has Mr. Watkins contact information please pm me. 

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2020, 09:36:19 AM »
There are a lot of makers I'll tote and I'll say that the combo depends greatly on what wood that maker has at his/her disposal at the time. I asked McKamey at Twisting Creek Calls to make me a walnut lid on a box not all that long ago and he refused. He said he wasn't happy with the walnut he had, that the grain was too loose, but that he had some wonderful mora he'd suggest. That's a good call maker IMO. Let them tell you what the best wood they have at the time is and what it might pair with. All that said, my favorite combo has always been walnut over mineralized poplar, and I've always preferred short boxes. All in all, I love a walnut lid.

Also, for what it's worth I was talking to Albert Paul recently about combo preferences and he said his favorites were mahogany/walnut, poplar/walnut, and red cedar/walnut. He said he always carries two when he hunts and the way that he decides on the two for that day is he plays all three and sees which two are running best that morning and those are the two he totes. I think that's pretty wise.

Offline 2nd 100

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2020, 04:31:55 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats my vote right there ! Light as a feather , way lighter than most of his other boxes and Pure Posion in my hands . !!

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2020, 07:56:05 AM »
Bloodwood/Butternut, I have one from a guy named Terry Baker I can no longer track down but it's fantastic sounding

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Terry makes a great call and probably doesn't get as much recognition as he should. I have a bloodwood and cherry call that is top shelf, both sound and build quality.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2020, 09:35:35 AM »
Bloodwood/Butternut, I have one from a guy named Terry Baker I can no longer track down but it's fantastic sounding

Terry makes a great call and probably doesn't get as much recognition as he should. I have a bloodwood and cherry call that is top shelf, both sound and build quality.
Mike I believe you got that from me in one of our trades correct, I wanna say for a Matt van Cise call? I purchased that call on ebay originally of its the same butternut/cherry I acquired there.

I pray that Terry is healthy and still chasing birds each spring, I tracked down his phone number once, got ahold of him and had a great long conversation he said he only built 50 or less calls a year but agreed to build me 4 short boxes although it might take a while. I checked back about a year later and they didn't have lids yet as he hadn't been building much due to a family member with health issues. Next time I called to check in the number no longer worked and I never did find any other way to get ahold of him. I just hope all is well but never came across anyone with a contact for him.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Adirondacks89

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2020, 12:11:34 PM »
Halloran Ebony and Poplar

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2020, 04:44:42 PM »

Mike I believe you got that from me in one of our trades correct, I wanna say for a Matt van Cise call? I purchased that call on ebay originally of its the same butternut/cherry I acquired there.

I pray that Terry is healthy and still chasing birds each spring, I tracked down his phone number once, got ahold of him and had a great long conversation he said he only built 50 or less calls a year but agreed to build me 4 short boxes although it might take a while. I checked back about a year later and they didn't have lids yet as he hadn't been building much due to a family member with health issues. Next time I called to check in the number no longer worked and I never did find any other way to get ahold of him. I just hope all is well but never came across anyone with a contact for him.

You are most likely right on the trade, I'm pretty sure that's how I acquired it.  I saw that Terry entered a call in the 2020 Nationals in the Decorative Division (2nd place) so he's still making a few.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com