OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Suggested choke for Federal Premium 3rd Degree TSS?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline TeeGee

Suggested choke for Federal Premium 3rd Degree TSS?
« on: April 29, 2020, 06:29:30 PM »
I'm shooting a Remington 870 express 20 gauge.  I've got some Federal Premium 3rd Degree comin, that's the one with the mixed # 5,6,7 shot, since I like the idea of a load that patterns well at both shorter and long range.  But I haven't seen any recommendations for chokes to match with it.  Any suggestions?

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Pucker up............
Re: Suggested choke for Federal Premium 3rd Degree TSS?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 07:02:44 PM »
Try a .570 primos tightwad,I am shooting that shell from a winchester sxp 20 gauge with the tightwad and I am extremely happy.I was never a huge fan of that shell until I shot it through that choke.I have not tried it through my rem 870 20 ga with my tightwad choke.
Browning'....“The Best There Is”

Austin 3:16...........

Offline LRD

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 07:18:20 PM »
I would try the Primos Tightwad as suggested or the Carlson's 575 non-ported.  Many people shoot these chokes with the TSS #9s especially the Carlson's, and they both shot the Federal Hvy Wt #7s very well.

Offline TeeGee

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 04:03:39 AM »
Is that the Carlsons TSS branded choke?  I have that, which is my first thought as to what to pattern with once this ammo finally arrives. 

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 09:59:11 AM »
we shoot that shell in wife's nova with 562.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 11:29:48 AM »
I may be wrong about this! I think there is some of the old 3rd Degree with heavyweight shot being sold, not actually tss. That’s the way 3rd was originally made. This has the old flight control wad that didn’t do well from a ported choke. The new stuff has the newer flight control flex, I think it’s called, that is supposed to work through all chokes. I shot a couple of the old through a ported tightwad and it actually did pretty good.