OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wanting to start turning pots

Started by Taylore16, April 28, 2020, 04:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylore16

Turkey hunting is all that I think about 24/7 365 days a year. Ive recently drawn interest in turning and making my own pot calls. Mainly for a hobby, but if I can get good enough one day to make some sales that will be a plus too. Ive read a ton of the posts on here and has helped me a ton just to expand my knowledge on techniques, patterns, materials, etc. My question is, where do you guys buy your wood from to make your blanks? Is it rough cuts from individuals cutting their own lumber, or is it from a lumber manufactuer/store? Seeing all the vast varieties that you guys post has me curious to where I can get more unique wood other than plain oak, cedar, etc.

Any help and advice is very much appreciated. Any tips or pointers for me just getting started is welcome and appreciated to. Thanks guys.

Brad_23

If you have a local lumber store that's where I would look first.. and would start out with cedar it's not expensive like other hardwoods .. and makes a really good sounding call.. notes take lots of notes when you make a call that way you will know what works and what don't.. hopefully you got to read some of the very informative information on tho before it was taken down..

outdoors

Tho game calls store
On face book you can get some help I think
Us to be a web site with all kinds of info , just kinda fazed out over the YAERS
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

NCbowjunkie

Taylore16

Yeaaaa I was a little late on the THO thing. There is some info on their Facebook page but not like I've read about on here they use to have on their forums. I'm in central Mississippi.

southern_leo

I have only messed with domestics. I found a local wood supplier. He has very rough boards that are usually higher is moisture. So I try to buy and keep in my garage for a year before making into a call. If I ventured into exotics I would have to hunt. I recommend starting with cheaper wood because your abiut to waste a lot until you find your measurements. Keep a note book of all your measurements. Exotics are cool but you can make an awesome pot from oak, cedar, walnut, maple etc. I actually prefer domestic woods honestly. They sound good and easier to obtain. Also be careful some exotics are toxic to ingest. Honestly the first couple practice runs I did I cut from 2x4s lol just to play with the different chisel and figure out what I liked. Never made them into completed calls just turned the pot. I start with a Google search "lumber supplier in (fill in the blank)" then look at their availability. Also keep in mind if it's a small business you maybe able to negotiate. My supplier always gives me good rates. He also does wood work so I ask abo it scraps that are 1 or 2 foot long he can't resell, he had given me several of nice wood. Some lumberyards will do the same if you go ask about their scraps.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

rdjustham

If you have a mill near you that may be the ticket.  All you need is their cut offs.  My blanks start 4x4x1 and i turn them from there.  My uncle has a mill near him and from time to time when i visit i can get some nice pieces that they give him for free.  Aside from that or a local supplier you can order wood from numerous websites.  I have ordered some stuff from Amazon Exotics, bell Forrest and theres one more i cant remember off hand.

LostMyOldAccount

You can turn rough but or smooth boards.  Most turning stock you purchase will be some degree of rough. 

Local mills, cabinet makers, and counter top places can be good sources (if they do butcher block they may have some cut offs). 

www.westpennhardwoods.com has always been a pretty good online source for exotics.  Sometimes if you have a Rockler or Woodcraft store near by they can have decent stuff.  Those stores are normally pricey but sometimes you will find a gem.     

As mentioned above you will want to practice on less expensive wood.  Maple is a really good wood to learn turning with.  It is pretty hard so it cuts well.  It is pretty available so it is not expensive.

If you have not read this already, some exotic woods are pretty harsh on more than your wallet.  Some of them are pretty toxic.  Some people are more sensitive than others.  Pay attention when your turning.

In reality all wood dust is not good for you.  A mask that filters to .005 micron is a good investment.  Air purifier and good circulation is a good idea also.