OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Call Builder Getting Started  (Read 3027 times)

Offline Gobble Nole

• North Florida Outfitters
Call Builder Getting Started
« on: April 27, 2020, 11:18:21 PM »
I ordered a jig from Feather Ridge and have been looking at the different suppliers.  Pioneer seems to be the go to for materials as well as Brookside. 

Could someone please narrow down the types of latex, frames, and tape to try and get started with.  It seems a tad overwhelming as I looked around.  Anyway, I am looking to make calls for myself and my son, I will order some youth materials as well.  I am assuming small frame with adhesive, tape to match, and then an assortment of latex thicknesses. 

I will take any recommendations that you have...

Offline Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Call Builder Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 07:20:36 AM »
Which jig did you get? If you purchased a jig that stamps the frame, you will need a different base plate for the youth frames. The standard base plate that Thad uses is for small crowned frames.

Use the adhesive frames and get multiple types of latex from .0025 - .004.

Thad can get you headed in the right direction.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 10:13:13 AM »
Which jig did you get? If you purchased a jig that stamps the frame, you will need a different base plate for the youth frames. The standard base plate that Thad uses is for small crowned frames.
Use the adhesive frames and get multiple types of latex from .0025 - .004.

Two recommendations based on my experience: 
Regarding the frame sizes:  start with the "SCA" (small crowned adhesive...from Pioneer) first to see if those will work for both you and your son.  The "MCA" frames are a bit bigger and seem a bit bulky to me,...and your son may not need to use the youth frames. 

Latex choices:  we all like different stuff, but many of us seem to recommend the .004 yellow from Pioneer.  I would also stick with the .0025 to .004 recommendation to start with.  Heavier latex (for me personally) is somewhat harder to work with and get good sounds out of.

Offline Gobble Nole

• North Florida Outfitters
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 02:13:45 PM »
I purchased the less expensive jig that corrects to the same tension each call.  I believe it is machined aluminum black.  I did not order the press as it seems like a big investment right off the bat.  I went into Pioneers website and got some basic materials to get started with.  We will see what happens, I will post pictures of the calls and maybe a sound file if I get something that works well. 

What about the amount of tension to apply to the reeds?  I understand the back tension is a personal choice and varies for everyone. 

Offline Firemt04

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 02:34:15 PM »
I purchased the less expensive jig that corrects to the same tension each call.  I believe it is machined aluminum black.  I did not order the press as it seems like a big investment right off the bat.  I went into Pioneers website and got some basic materials to get started with.  We will see what happens, I will post pictures of the calls and maybe a sound file if I get something that works well. 

What about the amount of tension to apply to the reeds?  I understand the back tension is a personal choice and varies for everyone.

I purchased the same jig recently and am also new to making my own mouth calls. The tension is all personal preference. I have "wasted" a lot of material and am still trying to find the tension and reed combo I like. It gets frustrating at times, but is still fun, and I know when I find MY perfect combo it will all be worth it. Good luck.

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 04:16:16 PM »
You can also get in touch with Dead End Game Calls.  They sell frames and latex as well.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge