OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Patterning paper  (Read 3495 times)

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
Patterning paper
« on: June 26, 2020, 04:36:12 AM »
Was lookin thru Midway USA and came across this and thought these would make pretty good patterning targets. They are 36" squared and plenty big enough to see your entire pattern.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Patterning paper
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 07:23:03 AM »
Thanks for sharing, good find...
“Solo hunter”

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 07:41:40 PM »
You can get packing paper that’s just slightly smaller but it’s over twice as many for under half the price. I think Walmart has em 2’ squared and 2’x30”.
I’m sure other stores have their own.
As a kid I just used newspaper. Sometimes the holes weren’t perfectly visible until you held them up to sun but they were free. Just a small aim spot in the center. Someone is making good money off paper. I’d keep things cheap as possible. Someone else mentioned gift paper after the holidays. You’ll prob get it for nothing or almost so. Turn it around and again an aiming spot. Lots cheaper though what you’re showing won’t break the bank. All just FYI and common sense to me. You’re gonna shoot at it n throw it out. Should be free to real cheap

Offline decoykrvr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 10:16:12 AM »
 I bought a roll of white butcher paper 36" wide x 1000' which I've used to make a bunch of patterning targets for over 30 years.  The site webstaurant.com has the paper 36"x700' for $24.00 plus shipping, which will make over 225 targets 3'x3'.  I've got a roll of black, hi-viz orange and hi-viz green, duct tape and simply cut out a square of tape and place in the center of the patterning paper and find that the available light conditions, and my eyesight, on a given day determine which shows up best.  I've made 30" round patterning templates and a clear plastic 20" template w/ the center 10" circle removed to evaluate pattern %'s and actual pellet counts.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:33:34 AM by decoykrvr »

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 12:41:29 PM »
Went to Staples and bought sticky easel pad paper. 50 sheets, perfect size, and it was ruled in 1" squares. Bet people could probably get it even cheaper at work, lol.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 10:13:12 AM »
I bought a roll of white butcher paper 36" wide x 1000' which I've used to make a bunch of patterning targets for over 30 years.  The site webstaurant.com has the paper 36"x700' for $24.00 plus shipping, which will make over 225 targets 3'x3'.  I've got a roll of black, hi-viz orange and hi-viz green, duct tape and simply cut out a square of tape and place in the center of the patterning paper and find that the available light conditions, and my eyesight, on a given day determine which shows up best.  I've made 30" round patterning templates and a clear plastic 20" template w/ the center 10" circle removed to evaluate pattern %'s and actual pellet counts.

Great idea

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 09:41:23 AM »
X2
“Solo hunter”

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 08:07:27 PM »
Here ya go from Lowes 
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-Builder-s-Paper-1-Pack-Paper-3-ft-x-140-ft-Drop-Cloth/50265367

Offline Gmed

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 10:18:26 PM »
bbcoach....that’s exactly what I use. It’s heavy duty and works great.....

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 03:12:45 AM »
You can get packing paper that’s just slightly smaller but it’s over twice as many for under half the price. I think Walmart has em 2’ squared and 2’x30”.
I’m sure other stores have their own.
As a kid I just used newspaper. Sometimes the holes weren’t perfectly visible until you held them up to sun but they were free. Just a small aim spot in the center. Someone is making good money off paper. I’d keep things cheap as possible. Someone else mentioned gift paper after the holidays. You’ll prob get it for nothing or almost so. Turn it around and again an aiming spot. Lots cheaper though what you’re showing won’t break the bank. All just FYI and common sense to me. You’re gonna shoot at it n throw it out. Should be free to real cheap

Good points you bring up about savings and all....IF you don't mind a target that is extremely thin and in the newspaper case VERY difficult to count your pellet strikes. But,to each their own. I was just showing these targets for someone that wanted a "ready to go" option without all that great of an expense. I think $24 plus a few bucks shipping is well worth it for 50 targets that a person doesn't have to worry about tearing very easily and that you would be able to easily count the pellet strikes opposed to newspaper. There is also builders paper at Menards 35"x140' for $10 or so. To each their own...

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 03:19:12 AM »
Like this @ Menards.