OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Semi-Autos and Roll Crimped TSS

Started by Gmed, April 26, 2020, 10:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmed

I have a Remington 870 compact 20 gauge that I am customizing and is a real shooter with TSS #9s and a Sumtoy .562 choke. I am going to have it cerakoted after season. However, being the gun nut I am, I enjoy tinkering and customizing stuff and would like another 20 gauge as a backup (or just to have). I would like some information on feeding issues - if any, in a semi-auto with these roll crimped shells. I like  the Stoeger m3020 but would like a barrel shorter than 26" Also,  are there any 20 gauge pumps that come drilled and tapped from the factory other than Mossberg? I had mine tapped at a local shop and installed a Venom.

Jroddc

Winchester sxp turkey comes drilled and tapped

Jroddc

Quote from: Jroddc on April 26, 2020, 05:15:58 PM
I know you said not Mossberg but I have a SA-20 that's got a 22" barrel and I shoot #7-1/2 hand loaded TSS through it with no feeding problems what so ever. Patterns really well too. Winchester sxp turkey comes drilled and tapped.

Ranman

I load my own TSS, and shoot in my Benelli Montefeltro, I just have to make sure of the proper length. Runs just fine with roll crimps.

N2TRKYS

I started shooting an 1187 this season.  I've had zero feeding/ejecting issues with my roll crimped handloads. 
83% of all statistics are made up.

huntinsomd

I started loading TSS last year and purchased a Franchi Affinity 3 20ga to hunt with. The load that I started with was 3" and 1 7/8oz. I was told to trim a 1/4" or so off the hull to make these shells work in my gun so I did that. There was a fine line between not trimming enough off the hulls and having feeding issues and trimming too much and not having much hull left to "roll" the crimp. So I did have feeding/cycling issues at times with longer shells in that gun. Shorter shells fed just fine. This year I switched guns and loads (2 3/4" shells) so no problems.

7shooter

No issues with factory Federal TSS out of my new Tristar Viper

davisd9

The Italian guns seem to be the ones with issues unless trimmed. Not sure about the Turkish guns.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer