OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Do turkeys fly when roost isn’t involved?  (Read 4261 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Do turkeys fly when roost isn’t involved?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2020, 01:32:25 PM »
I have had them fly over the road before, one I did not see where it landed the other landed on a telephone pole. Had them fly when I have gotten to close to them as well. They can fly 30 MPH and run 55 MPH
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2021, 05:00:19 AM »
That reminds me:   I got my farm about 20 years ago. The first year I was driving the AA in Kentucky on a regular basis, there was a cut through one of the hills that was littered with turkey carcasses.  It seemed every time I went out, there was a new one.   Then, I found out why.   There was a flock of turkeys that were launching themselves off the  cut and trying to make it over the road, and it wasn't working out.  As I approached the cut one day, I saw 5 of them go for it.  4 made it to the other side, but one hit the face of the far side and landed in the culvert beside the road.   On another trip, I saw one unfortunate bird go into the windshield of the 18-wheeler up ahead of me.  There was a this huge cloud of feathers and the truck slowed down and pulled off. 

After that, I don't remember seeing any more dead birds.  I figure that was the last of the flock.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2021, 08:37:11 AM »
They can fly 30 MPH and run 55 MPH

Interesting statistic.  Not sure where you saw that,...assuming it is a reliable source,...but I would have guessed just the opposite.  It would be hard for me to imagine that a turkey can run 55 miles and hour, and I would think they could easily fly more than 30 miles an hour.  In conclusion, I find that information pretty hard to believe,...but if it is, so be it.   ;D

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2021, 05:45:17 PM »
They can fly 30 MPH and run 55 MPH

Interesting statistic.  Not sure where you saw that,...assuming it is a reliable source,...but I would have guessed just the opposite.  It would be hard for me to imagine that a turkey can run 55 miles and hour, and I would think they could easily fly more than 30 miles an hour.  In conclusion, I find that information pretty hard to believe,...but if it is, so be it.   ;D

Edit: This is also at the bottom but wanted to put it here as well.
"Oops, there goes my numbers dyslexia (dyscalculia) I reversed them. Sorry about that, did not even realize it until after I had hit enter and started to read it, that is why I do all my bills with a calculator."
Got it from Mr. Lovett Williams book Book of the Wild Turkey Now that said I do have number dyslexia so I could have that in reverse. Went and looking it up real quick and I do have it in proper order though this article does not mention how fast they can run.
1. Turkeys Can Fly Wild turkeys feed on the ground, which might explain the myth of their flightlessness. They can in fact soar for short bursts at up to 55 mph. But their tendency to stay on or near the ground contributed to successful hunting that brought the wild population of turkeys down to about 30,000 in the 1930s. There are now 7 million of them. https://www.livescience.com/7630-5-surprising-turkey-facts.html

Here you go, 30 MPH

6.How fast can wild turkeys run when they are scared?

Wild turkeys are fast fliers (up to 55 mph for short distances) and capable runners (15-30 mph). They can take full flight from a sitting position, but seldom fly more than a few hundred feet due to their short wings and heavy body weight. When agitated, they are more likely to run.

https://blog.outdoorherbivore.com/random/interesting-facts-about-turkeys/

Oops, there goes my numbers dyslexia (dyscalculia) I reversed them. Sorry about that, did not even realize it until after I had hit enter and started to read it, that is why I do all my bills with a calculator.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 05:58:58 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 07:13:13 PM »
 ;D :laugh: No problem,...I was pretty sure they couldn't run that fast,...mainly cuz back in "the day" I could run one down once in a while and I'm pretty sure I never got above 30 mph!   ;D :angel9:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2021, 08:17:55 PM »
;D :laugh: No problem,...I was pretty sure they couldn't run that fast,...mainly cuz back in "the day" I could run one down once in a while and I'm pretty sure I never got above 30 mph!   ;D :angel9:
I get numbers messed up real bad, went to see my friend Jerry graduate from bootcamp in San Antonio Lakland AFB and my uncle I had not seen in years lived in Austin so he drove over to see me while I was there. Well I gave him directions and told him I was at Motel 8 on rout 275 in room 14 and I was on rout 14 in room 275 on rout 8 so I have a history of problem. By the way those are just numbers I made up but the rest of the story is true, I can't remember the proper numbers.

John Koenig:

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2021, 01:53:08 PM »
Was driving down the expressway south of home several miles early fall. Bit of a hill on both sides where they dug it out for the highway construction. Flock of turkeys were flying one side to the other in front of me.