OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Close today  (Read 1225 times)

Offline TKE921

Close today
« on: April 25, 2020, 05:35:02 PM »
Our WV season has been a weather disaster so far.  Starting the sunday before season I have had 3 days in the 20s and 3-4 days of morning rain.  Today, however, was a very nice morning.  I had one going good by 615 and by 640 it was all over.  I believe he is the old bird that slipped in behind my second WV bird last year.  This guy had 2 nice roads to get to where I was positioned and instead I watched him cut a 65yd half moon around me before he finally saw a real hen and went off into the hollow.  C'est la vie et C'est la guerre. 

I let a bird go during the first week of VA season because he would not come closer than 50 yds.  In weather-related retrospect I should have rolled him like a snowball.

On a positive note the WVDNR is considering giving us back our "original" final week of season.  Myself and many others who hunt areas above 3000' in elevation have been giving them hell about what they did to our season by shifting the whole thing a week earlier. 

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Close today
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 09:10:59 PM »
CJ, I’m headed to Sleepy Creek WMA tomorrow to hunt Mon-Wed. I think we’ve pm’d before and that’s not in your neck of the woods but if you get lost.....  anyhow, what’s going on with WV thinking about adding a week at the end?  I’ve looked at WVDNR website and can’t see anything. Just curious what you know or how you heard about it? 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline TKE921

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 01:13:55 PM »
Our season, due to the whining of those who hunt in the kanawha valley, got moved earlier by 1 week, statewide.  It has been nothing short of a disaster for those of us who hunt in the higher elevations.  For example: today on the lease I am in it was 34 and pouring snow on my head at 7am and about 3400' elevation.  When I left it was cloudy and 36.  By the time I got home, 50 min and 1400' less in elevation, it was 48 and sunny. 

Many of us have written the WVDNR about giving us back our original last week, or splitting the state and having two opening weeks and two closing weeks.  I personally and friends I know wrote them and let them know how much $ we now spend in VA because our first, and many times second week is useless, due to the weather.    I have been in that lease for 5 years and I honestly do not know if I have ever shot a bird in the first two weeks.

They are supposed to vote on it at some meeting on May 5th.  Surely it will pass, as our state has been very progressive in the last few years with access and weaponry....we can now hunt sundays even on public land and are allowed to use crossbows.

You be careful out in the eastern panhandle.  That area is one of our higher Covid concetrations

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 04:03:47 PM »
Appreciate the background on the season timing. And appreciate the good wishes. But I’m going solo in a tent and shouldn’t have to go into town for anything if I’m lucky.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline TKE921

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 04:47:48 PM »
not a problem, good luck