OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: what time of the season to stop using jake decoy? (for those that use decoys)  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Bobby5

I live in southern indiana and our season just opened up on the April 22nd. Im hunting a 60 acre farm hillside woods and a large fields in a creek bottom.  Second day of season i had a DSD jake and upright hen decoy out and had a nice gobbler on the edge of the woods. He wouldnt come out in the field just stayed on the opposite edge and about 5 minutes later 3 jakes came out of nowhere in single file and started flogging my jake and breeding my hen. Once the jakes left i had the same gobbler going to check out a  hen in the field and he got another glimpse of that jake decoy and was like he saw a coyote he was gone. I figured a jake hen combo would be good for early season but apparently not lol. Should i give up on this combo and use a single hen or keep using it? Even though our season just started it seems like its mid season the way the birds are acting. I have a DSD upright, feeding hen,  and 3/4 jake. Im new to this so im all ears and take all the advice i can get. How do you tell what phase of the season it is in? By date, weather etc?  thanks a ton

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
The jakes may have ganged up on that gobbler.
I use jake decoys all season.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
First couple weeks Jake decoy after that i use mostly lay down and feeder ...

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
The jakes may have ganged up on that gobbler.
I use jake decoys all season.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If a gobbler heads out when he sees a Jake decoy, that’s more than likely right. He might have been a subordinate gobbler. A boss would be less likely intimidated.

Offline Bobby5

Thanks for the help that’s what I figured he got whipped before. Just didn’t know if i should quit using the jake decoy. Thanks for the help