OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: what to do after a turkey shock gobbles  (Read 5386 times)

Offline bonasa

Re: what to do after a turkey shock gobbles
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 07:51:44 AM »
Was he in the field and you were in the woods? Not the best scenario, if you were in the field and he was in the woods that would be the best, if you are both in the field that is second best.

If hes off your property, give it your best to call him over, 80 yards is plenty enough to get inside his head.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 10:04:43 AM »
If he shock gobbles , i pray , that he will work and come my direction , and i kill him and carry him back to the truck...

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 01:44:16 PM »
Was he in the field and you were in the woods? Not the best scenario, if you were in the field and he was in the woods that would be the best, if you are both in the field that is second best.

If hes off your property, give it your best to call him over, 80 yards is plenty enough to get inside his head.

At 80 or so yards, a turkey will hear any call you make, even soft purrs and clucks. Whether he comes to you or not, he knows precisely where you ( hen ) are. He will also REMEMBER. You don`t always have to employ a tactic that includes moving around through the woods. You can stay put, provided you have the time, and wait for the hens that are probably with him to dump him. He may well gobble an hour to two hours later, hear your response that lets him know you (hen ) are still there, and be in your lap 15 minutes later. I know this first hand.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2020, 02:06:58 PM »
move in close as you can & kill him. Mike

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 07:50:31 PM »
Since turkeys have a peck order, it seems that an appropriate response to a shock gobble would be a single gobble from you. This would let the real tom know that a stranger is in his territory and he might just silently come to investigate, so set up and patiently wait for him to sneak in to size up the newcomer.