OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Sumtoy bases coming loose  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
Sumtoy bases coming loose
« on: April 24, 2020, 09:19:38 AM »
I've had a couple of Sumtoy bases come loose this season after shooting a bit.  I think it may be from tapping the red dot after making adjustments while shooting 3.5" turkey loads in Mossberg 835s.  I used blue locktite on the base screws and the sight screws.  I called William at Sumtoy and he said that I hadn't tightened the base screws down enough.  I told him that I had tightened one down so much it bent the base to where the sight couldn't be mounted.  They sent me another base which put me back in business.  He said that he doesn't use a torque screwdriver.  He tightens them down till the screw comes into contact with the base metal, then he goes 1/2 turn beyond that.  I think that's what I'm gonna do when I tighten mine back down.  What do you guys use to lock down your reflex sight bases and sights?  William mentioned using locktite epoxy between the base and the gun if it was going to be a dedicated turkey gun.  Both of my 835s are dedicated turkey guns so I may do just that.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
Re: Sumtoy bases coming loose
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 09:48:49 AM »
Blue loctite and snug. 6-48 or 8-40 screws strip really easy especially in a aluminum receiver. 20 inch pounds is plenty. You can probably use red loctite if you don't plan on removing. You'll have to put the heat to it though if you do want to remove it later. I don't recommend it though as the blue should work

Offline afhunter1

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 10:37:09 AM »
Blue and 25 in #’s here

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 05:28:25 PM »
remember that most the numbers you see are on rifles.  They are STEEL   I have seen guns stripped with all this torque stuff.    Big thing is loctite on the screws.  15 inch pounds no more the 18 inch pounds. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline J-Shaped

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 05:23:35 PM »
In addition to what is already stated, I can’t overemphasize enough the importance of degreasing both the screw holes and all screws before mounting. You’ll be amazed at the amount of oil on most screws and all the torque and Loctite in the world won’t matter if you’re trying to use oily components. May sound over the top, but it matters.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 08:14:46 PM »
Agree you have danger of stripping threads. I would ensure the screws are correct length and bed the base for even contact and pressure. I have one on a vent rib without even a full turn of thread. It has held for a few years. I dropped the gun on the red dot and crunch the lens a little. It is still holding.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 06:26:20 AM »
dang man that's weird. I would say something is wrong with the way it was tapped if that's the case, or maybe you cracked a screw and didn't realize it. I do tighten mine a good bit, with a torque wrench... on my 870, but  having torque head screws +  a steel receiver gives me the ability to do that where a lot of guns have aluminum receivers  and perhaps come with flat head screw or a screw that the head will strip on easily. snug should be fine. the first time I ever mounted a fast fire I used no Loctite and it never came loose grant it I snugged everything well. I had to reinstall it years later after having my gun re-coated and second go round I decided to use this blue Loctite paste/gell stuff that comes in a tube. I had used it before and it was easier to apply in a gel form. well my coating failed on my gun ...started coming off badly this season so I had to take the sight off again so the guy can re-coat it. This being months later. I noticed after that time the blue gel type Loctite had never dried....still as wet as the day I applied it so I would highly advise not using the gel type Loctite.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."