turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tips for getting him in closer?

Started by Mossberg90MN, April 23, 2020, 11:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossberg90MN

A common issue I ran into this past week is gobblers closing the distance but not appearing. Made sure my set up was good before I called, always made sure to set up so once he finally appeared he would be in range. Only problem is if I set up for a 30 yard shot he would come to 40 and not appear visually.

What tips and tricks do you guys have to get set up to prevent hang ups?

I'm talking woods turkeys not field turkeys.

I've thought about calling at say, a 30 yard range and then once I hear him closing the distance maybe cut in another 20 yards and go silent, maybe soft clucks at the most. Thought?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

I had the same problem a couple weeks ago twice from the same patch of woods I'm sure it was the same Gobbler.
Gobbler would come fom a long ways away on a string just out of range and where we couldn't see him. Did hens lead him away? I don't know. Obstacle in Way? Possibly... We ended up changing set ups and im pretty sure he got  killed the third time from that same patch of woods. Turkey's will be Turkey's.
I kinda analyze everything and ain't afraid to try something else whether it be sit it out and a dose of silence,trying him again later with a different set up,etc. Good luck...

silvestris

I like to get him interested and when I hear the gobble I am listening for give him a continuing dose of silence.  But keep a sharp lookout; they will sneak up on you and if you are not careful he will sneak away.  I like to set up where it is a little thicker so he is not so concerned when he doesn't see the hen that had been calling.  Before you cease calling, answer him rather than answer him.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

LaLongbeard

Stopping short of your last call is a common Gobbler trait. Not all do this some sneak in silent some circle you some come right in. When I have a second chance at one that stops short when I've made my last call and think he's coming in I move up 25 or 30 yards in the direction I think he's coming. In this situation I usually kneel down behind a tree instead of sitting down that way you can move easier if needed.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Jroddc

If you can, try scratching the leaves. I killed a bird Monday that came in and did almost a full circle around me by the time I could see him 75 yards out he was just stopped looking in my direction. I scratched the leaves he gobbled at it took a few steps strutted, stopped again looked. I did it 2 more times and he gobbled and came till he was in range.

Mossberg90MN

Yea I always make sure to do leave scratching. I think I'm gonna start having 2 set ups. If I strike him at one spot, gonna close the distance some more and go quiet, maybe sound the call off behind me to make it sound further. I guess just experience will help me learn how to deal with this.

tlh2865

This might just be me, but if I was set and he hung up beyond sight I definitely would not want to move straight towards him. If he is waiting for the hen to come to him, and he hears you, presumably the hen, coming towards him, what incentive does he have to break and come into your view? I would want to move parallel to him, or at an angle, to try and break him off the position he has held up in.

RiverRoost

I've wondered and think I saw Dave Owens do this, if he hangs up and know he's a long way off you could get up move back 30-40 yards and call then scurry back to your original tree setup and hope he thinks you are going away

fallhnt

Set up so he can't see you until you can kill him. Use the terrain if you can.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: RiverRoost on April 24, 2020, 12:26:43 PM
I've wondered and think I saw Dave Owens do this, if he hangs up and know he's a long way off you could get up move back 30-40 yards and call then scurry back to your original tree setup and hope he thinks you are going away
I think chad clay comb does that too right?

I'm gonna have to do some more watching and see if I see that. Not a bad idea.

g8rvet

A lot of folks only hunt alone.  But a deadly tactic on birds that have done that before is to set up with another caller behind you.  The closest starts the calling and the further takes over until he is coming.  Sounds like the hen is walking away and is a very good tactic.  If you are the one in the front, you are then in debt and must be the guy calling from behind next time! 

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: g8rvet on April 24, 2020, 08:40:24 PM
A lot of folks only hunt alone.  But a deadly tactic on birds that have done that before is to set up with another caller behind you.  The closest starts the calling and the further takes over until he is coming.  Sounds like the hen is walking away and is a very good tactic.  If you are the one in the front, you are then in debt and must be the guy calling from behind next time!
I would love to try that. I know that's one of those old tactics. Killer combo, if your doing that with 2 skilled turkey hunters.

g8rvet

Well, I can attest it works for even those not so skilled!   :toothy9:

I have been the guy in back 3 times for birds killed, never been the guy in front.  I did have  my chance this year but he was just out of range of my muzzleloader. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Greg Massey

Moving forward or back and scratching in the leaves are all good tactics.. extra person will help also..