Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who hunts a Neil Cost box, or........ ??

Started by Yoder409, April 21, 2020, 08:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

crow

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 29, 2020, 09:26:24 PM
Quote from: Arrowhead on April 29, 2020, 01:33:37 PM
I hunt with mine.

You are a braver soul than am I.    :theman:

I fell hard yesterday on some wet rocks, luckily I had moved my favorite Snozz mini boat to an inside pocket when it started raining, had it been in it's normal place it would of been smashed.

I don't fall often, but when I do it's usually because of wet rocks and not because of Dos Equise

Yoder409

Quote from: crow on April 29, 2020, 10:36:44 PM
I hunt with mine.

I fell hard yesterday on some wet rocks, luckily I had moved my favorite Snozz mini boat to an inside pocket when it started raining, had it been in it's normal place it would of been smashed.

I don't fall often, but when I do it's usually because of wet rocks and not because of Dos Equise

Case in point.

The unforseen OOPS !! is just one of the reasons I couldn't bring myself to hunt an expensive, irreplaceable call. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Abomb

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 30, 2020, 07:20:36 PM
Quote from: crow on April 29, 2020, 10:36:44 PM
I hunt with mine.

Case in point.

The unforseen OOPS !! is just one of the reasons I couldn't bring myself to hunt an expensive, irreplaceable call.
Im just curious as to why even have it if its not going to be used to call in a turkey?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Quote from: Abomb on May 01, 2020, 03:11:02 PMIm just curious as to why even have it if its not going to be used to call in a turkey?

Can't speak for others.  But for myself, it'd be to own and preserve a rare and irreplaceable piece of turkey hunting history.

Kinda like having a frame-off restored '57 Chevy but not driving it to work every day on slushy, winter roads.
PA elitist since 1979

paboxcall

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 01, 2020, 06:17:21 PM
Quote from: Abomb on May 01, 2020, 03:11:02 PMIm just curious as to why even have it if its not going to be used to call in a turkey?

Can't speak for others.  But for myself, it'd be to own and preserve a rare and irreplaceable piece of turkey hunting history.

Kinda like having a frame-off restored '57 Chevy but not driving it to work every day on slushy, winter roads.

Or more like having that frame-off '57 but hauling it on a trailer everywhere you go and never driving it?
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Yoder409

Quote from: paboxcall on May 01, 2020, 06:18:47 PM

Or more like having that frame-off '57 but hauling it on a trailer everywhere you go and never driving it?

Yep.   There are those who'll do that.
PA elitist since 1979

Abomb

I understand your point. I see it as if the builder took the time to build it to sound like and call a turkey. Im using it. Not sitting somewhere collecting dust. I have quite a few of what everyone calls the rare high end calls and have gotten and plan to continue getting blood on them. And then give them to my boys to use. To me thats where their value is. Not saying your view is wrong just a difference in the way people view them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

gaswamp

its a tool....you only go around once imho use it don't just look at it.

Yoder409

Quote from: Abomb on May 01, 2020, 07:15:12 PM

I understand your point. I see it as if the builder took the time to build it to sound like and call a turkey. Im using it. Not sitting somewhere collecting dust. I have quite a few of what everyone calls the rare high end calls and have gotten and plan to continue getting blood on them. And then give them to my boys to use. To me thats where their value is. Not saying your view is wrong just a difference in the way people view them.

Yep. 

I understand YOUR point of view, as well.  It's just not mine............and mine ain't yours.  I don't have a problem using higher end calls in the woods.  But heirlooms..........collectibles........"museum pieces".............calls that are approaching $1K or $2K or more....... It'd have to be a warm sunny day and the call would have to be carried in a Pelican case.
PA elitist since 1979

Happy hooker

Antique tractors are collectable too I wouldn't want to use one farming. I had a cost in the 90s to early 2000s sold it. If I got another cost it would be for display only because I think today's call makers make better sounding calls. Dawkins,watkins,Mann a former cost study,have much better killing machines.

howl

I hunt some valuable calls that weren't expensive when I bought them. I'm not gonna sell them. So, dollar value is irrelevant.

I do not take calls without sentimental value when travelling though. Money can't replace those.

oakridgegobbler

I DO ..THAT'S WHAT NEIL INTENDED IT TO BE USED FOR !
OAK RIDGE CUSTOM CALLS

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

ManfromGreenSwamp

Have hunted many mornings with a paddle of Neils...magic always answered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button