OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gun Skins?

Started by Johnhunter21, February 15, 2021, 09:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captpete

Mossy Oak graphics are pretty easy to apply and are VERY durable. You will need a sharp knife(Exacto knife works great),hair dryer/heat gun and PATIENTS, lots of patients. If you use a heat gun, be careful, it can get to hot and melt the vinyl. The gun I did looked like it was dipped. It wasn't perfect, but like said earlier, you wouldn't know the wrinkles were there if they weren't pointed out. Good luck and post some pics when you get it done.

The one thing I didn't care for was the gun was kind of slippery with certain gloves, especially Jersey type gloves.

Tom007

Quote from: captpete on February 20, 2021, 08:06:37 AM
Mossy Oak graphics are pretty easy to apply and are VERY durable. You will need a sharp knife(Exacto knife works great),hair dryer/heat gun and PATIENTS, lots of patients. If you use a heat gun, be careful, it can get to hot and melt the vinyl. The gun I did looked like it was dipped. It wasn't perfect, but like said earlier, you wouldn't know the wrinkles were there if they weren't pointed out. Good luck and post some pics when you get it done.

The one thing I didn't care for was the gun was kind of slippery with certain gloves, especially Jersey type gloves.

Everyone interested in this product, this is the advice I followed from Captpete. Trust me, It came out perfect. Looks like it was dipped....I have to thank him, the hair dryer is the ticket.....
"Solo hunter"

Mallard1897

Mossy oak has a YouTube video applying the wrap and use the method mentioned. Not that the process is that hard to figure out, but for those curious: https://youtu.be/0Z-UAFuWYzU.

Degreasing and wiping down the gun beforehand helps the vinyl adhere better. Nice thing about it is if you don't get it to lay just right when applying you can just reheat the area and peel it off and readjust. I'm not sure how it is to remove after it's been on a while but I'm assuming if you heat it it will come off with little to no residue left on the gun. I'll find out when I redo my autoloader at some point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: Mallard1897 on February 20, 2021, 01:10:54 PM
Mossy oak has a YouTube video applying the wrap and use the method mentioned. Not that the process is that hard to figure out, but for those curious: https://youtu.be/0Z-UAFuWYzU.

Degreasing and wiping down the gun beforehand helps the vinyl adhere better. Nice thing about it is if you don't get it to lay just right when applying you can just reheat the area and peel it off and readjust. I'm not sure how it is to remove after it's been on a while but I'm assuming if you heat it it will come off with little to no residue left on the gun. I'll find out when I redo my autoloader at some point.

Amen, great info...
"Solo hunter"

captpete

Quote from: Mallard1897 on February 20, 2021, 01:10:54 PM

I had it on a gun for 3 years. Once I got it started it came off relatively easy without using heat. Once off, there was no residue on the gun.

Mallard1897

That's good to know. 3M makes great stuff. Thanks!

crucible7

New to the forum so this is actually my first post...

But this is my Tristar Raptor that I added the MO Bottomland wrap to a few weeks ago. I've been debating whether to do the receiver and barrel or not.

I'm really happy with how the vinyl handled. I used a hair dryer which didn't overheat the vinyl but softened it enough to be pliable.

The other thing I like about the Mossy Oak vs GunSkins is the price... which is about half the price. And the quality is just as good, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnhunter21

Thanks everyone, it sounds like most are fans of the mossy oak wrap but I am a fan of the Realtree Timber camo so I went with Gun Skins. 4 hours later and taking my time it is complete. I actually enjoyed doing it and it turned out even better than I expected. The only negative I can see is you lose some of the factory Mossberg Grip but plenty is still there. Now I just hope it lasts a long time, It does seem very durable.

Johnhunter21

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Tom007

Great job on all the guns. They look like they were dipped.....
"Solo hunter"

roberthyman14

Took me about an hour.  Its not perfect at all. Forend is where I had trouble.  But it looks cool

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

spiggy2

Just finished my weatherby sa-459 in greenleaf. Mossy oak graphics are sweet, bought a 3x3 roll to do mine. Turned out great, there's a couple spots with wrinkles, but overall I'm really happy with how it turned out. Definitely would recommend a heat gun and the hobby knives they sell and a ton of extra blades.

"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

RED NECK

Some nice looking wrap jobs on the thread!
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........