turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How long to break in short box?

Started by AppalachianHollers, April 21, 2020, 02:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AppalachianHollers

I have heard short boxes get better after they've been used awhile. Is this true and how does that work, practically? I've just started fiddling with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy hooker

I don't know about a break in period like boots or a baseball glove,,today's call makers have them well tuned by the get go.
However a very talented callmaker told me that a purpleheart over cedar box call will have a life span to it. His opinion is the purpleheart is very wearing on the cedar rails, it's a great sounding combo but his opinion was it will eventually fade.

AppalachianHollers

Interesting...that's precisely the wood combo I've got. I was told it wouldn't wear out, but that there'd be some sort of "butterfly"-looking wear.

wchadw

Quote from: Happy hooker on April 21, 2020, 04:06:20 PM
I don't know about a break in period like boots or a baseball glove,,today's call makers have them well tuned by the get go.
However a very talented callmaker told me that a purpleheart over cedar box call will have a life span to it. His opinion is the purpleheart is very wearing on the cedar rails, it's a great sounding combo but his opinion was it will eventually fade.
That's interesting. I have one. It's not that old. Still sounds good

AppalachianHollers

I just hope I don't need to be nervous to practice with it a lot in the offseason.

Happy hooker

Again that's just his opinion but he's well regarded.

Chris O

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on April 21, 2020, 08:44:18 PM
I just hope I don't need to be nervous to practice with it a lot in the offseason.

I am sure it will last a long time for the amount that most people play them. Just like rubbing 2 sticks together over time something will change. Practice away and don't worry about it. Chances are we will break them before they wear out.

Spring Creek Calls

I don't believe I'd be concerned with excessive wear on the rails from the lid/paddle. With the soft woods like cedar and butternut I have experienced the screw backing off with use, which will definitely change the tone.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

paboxcall

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on April 22, 2020, 09:08:09 AM
I don't believe I'd be concerned with excessive wear on the rails from the lid/paddle. With the soft woods like cedar and butternut I have experienced the screw backing off with use, which will definitely change the tone.

Agree with Mike 100%.

Funny you should mention the screw backing out. I had a butternut box call where the screw started to back out. So I dropped a small piece of a round toothpick in the hole and tightened everything back down and re-tuned it. Hasn't moved since.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Greg Massey

They are made to play , chalk it up and play it until your hearts content.