OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Muzzleloader help  (Read 1992 times)

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
Muzzleloader help
« on: April 20, 2020, 09:39:22 PM »
As some of y'all may have read, I missed a bird with my System 1 M/L.  It was a quick decision to shoot or not and he was at 32 steps and following a hen.  I could clearly see his neck and head.  Slam dunk with modern shotgun or my TK2000, but I figured it was marginal.  I figured dead or missed and I missed.  I had the bead right on his noggin and was rock steady - no flinch or anything.  I was real comfortable with it at 30, but there was some brush too. 

So it got me to thinking.  I bought some of the 12 gauge Federal TSS that was on sale at Cabelas (I only hunt with my 20 now and have a lifetime supply of the shells). 

So, here are my questions.

1) Could I gently cut open the shell and ease out the intact hull and buffer and shot and push that down the barrel over my chosen powder charge?

2)Could I use my 3" wads that I have that are pre-slit and pour the buffer and TSS out of the shell while not retaining the wad?  Use a fiber cushion inside the hull to make sure the wad is full before adding the overshot card (or felt wad).  I worry about the buffer and shot being well mixed this way.

3) Do what I do with the HW#7 in the TK and get rid of the buffer and just fill the 3" cup  with a mix of TSS #9 and copper plated #5? 

This gun if very repeatable, I just am not getting a good 40 yard pattern like the TK and it is my backup M/L (I was carrying it on a hunt with my nephew that had just killed a bird with the TK and we struck this bird before I could get back to the truck for a reload on the TK).  I misjudged the distance, but dang it, it was close to my comfort zone.  I could hunt it and limit it to 25 yards, but it seems I should be able to get it better. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Muzzleloader help
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 01:17:16 PM »
I have done option one with fair success.
My current recipe seems to work better than anything else I have tried. You can also use the smae cups and gas seal with TBS #7. I did it and it worked very well.

Here is my load that is shooting so well. These are the numbers from my Ballistic Products Invoice
70grs 777 powder in Encore. In TK2000 use 80grs.
2oz TSS
OB12 gas seal                       Item :02012
CSD100 shot cup                   Item :0207100
BSB-ITX Buffer  20 grains       Item :BSB
Felt Wad 12ga 1/8"                Item :1221812

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 08:30:45 PM »
Perfect.  I read the other thread and saw that.  And you try to tamp down the buffer and shot all in the cup together as you load it (with the TK that is easy enough).  My nephew just bought a TK2000 as well and was asking me a lot of these questions, so he is all pumped and I wanted to work on a load for my other M/L while we are shooting.  Much appreciated.  This is exactly what I needed. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 03:17:44 PM »
When loading I layer buffer and shot then tap to mix until the cup is  full. I then push the whole cup load down the barrel. Much more consistent patterns. I have to remove the choke in the Encore.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 08:04:39 PM »
Thanks for the help.

I noticed the CSD 100 are out of stock.  I will call and see when they are coming back.  Nothing really looked comparable.