turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

how to position decoys?

Started by Bobby5, April 20, 2020, 07:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5

I know this is a stupid question but how do you guys position decoys? I have DSD upright hen, feeding hen, and 3/4 jake. Ive never used this many decoys and didn't know which way to face them or does it even matter ? thanks for the help.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Bobby5 on April 20, 2020, 07:23:35 PM
I know this is a stupid question but how do you guys position decoys? I have DSD upright hen, feeding hen, and 3/4 jake. Ive never used this many decoys and didn't know which way to face them or does it even matter ? thanks for the help.

So here is some help...

Are you hunting a field? In a Blind? and Shotgun or Bow? To a degree all make a difference.

I will give you the basic in a field, shotgun and blind. You've scouted and know where to set.

Set that 3/4 Strut Jake at 15 yards slightly to strong side ( if righty jake is a 11 and lefty at 1. Noon is dead center of blind and blind is set as diamond.) As a righty set in left side blind and you will face the right side blind opening and can swing to left opening easy.

Upright Hen is set a couple yards from jake on that strong side and still at the 15yard mark.

Feeding Hen is set about 15 to 20 feet from Jake to weak side.

Next is let them decoys move, I have actually improved my decoys so they move easier. Won't matter which way they face... Motion is the key.

If you have more specific questions just ask, happy to help.

MK M GOBL

Timmer

MK M GOBL gave good advice for the quantity and types of decoys you noted.  Search the site and you will get lots of opinions on how many decoys to use, and debates on whether to use decoys at all. 

I use decoys a fair amount but I have a love/hate relationship with them because of the constant debate that goes on in my mind.  Over the years I've had a couple of giant dominant toms come running when he saw them.  When I have them out I frequently get hens visiting my set up.  Having real live hens would seem ideal for pulling in a bird.  That being said, I've had a number of birds turn and run the second he saw the decoys, and have gotten the vast majority of my birds without decoys. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Turkeytider

Quote from: Timmer on April 21, 2020, 08:16:32 AM
MK M GOBL gave good advice for the quantity and types of decoys you noted.  Search the site and you will get lots of opinions on how many decoys to use, and debates on whether to use decoys at all. 

I use decoys a fair amount but I have a love/hate relationship with them because of the constant debate that goes on in my mind.  Over the years I've had a couple of giant dominant toms come running when he saw them.  When I have them out I frequently get hens visiting my set up.  Having real live hens would seem ideal for pulling in a bird.  That being said, I've had a number of birds turn and run the second he saw the decoys, and have gotten the vast majority of my birds without decoys.

I know it happens, it`ll probably happen to me. It`s happened to my buddy. I have yet to have a gobbler that has seen my decoys run away. I have to wonder if Toms aren`t more susceptible to decoying in the afternoon, too. They are far more likely to be henless then.

rifleman

Thanks 1iagobbler to warrent423.  Why do people act that way???

Bobby5

thanks for the advice. Gonna help out a ton. just didnt want to scatter them out there.

Meleagris gallopavo

I usually have the jake in the middle and a hen on either side, about like what Bobby5 said.  Mine work okay with no motion, but I know motion would help.  I have some turkeys that get spooked by them, some ignore them completely, some come in hot and attack them immediately. 
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: silvestris on April 21, 2020, 02:03:40 PM
Quote from: rifleman on April 21, 2020, 09:39:42 AM
Thanks 1iagobbler to warrent423.  Why do people act that way???

Because he is correct.  I would position mine, if I had them, in the middle of a roaring fire.  With that position, you could also roast some weenies.
That's your dumb opinion. Until your paying for everyone's license kiss off..
That's about as dumb as sitting in the rain or staying home instead of using a blind when its raining out.
Quit ruining this guys thread and start your own on how you despise everyone who doesn't hunt like you do if you even do hunt.

silvestris

Thanks, Howl.  Good hunting to you.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Old Gobbler

Dont put too much thought into the decoy thing

If I'm using one ...and in florida I wouldnt be caught dead without one because I would prefer the decoy gets shot and not me , but that's another story for another day

The decoy is a distraction so that the gobbler is not focused on you , and you can get a clean shot
Place the decoy 30 yards away , that's about not too close not too far ...

There are places I wont use one like where your traveling long distances,  and or low visibility close in type areas where calling is everything, 

I keep it flexible so I have one in the truck incase the situation calls for it ...but I dont rely on it as my ONLY  means of hunting , that will in the long road ....hold you back 
The jake decoy is very effective , but I've seen gobblers shy away from them on rare occasions, and many times race in a beat the hell out of it ,  gobblers like hens like I like finding 100 dollar bills on the sidewalk , you cant go wrong with em

Back to your question , I would leave it in a area where it can bee seen by a gobbler and just far enough from your hidden position
Shannon

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Bobby5

I took your advice and had a gobbler on the edge of the field interested until 3 jakes come racing in and attack my jake and start mating my upright hen decoy lol. The gobbler did not like that jake decoy. Should i ditch the jake and use a single hen? If so would you go with the upright or the feeder?

Turkeytider

Quote from: Bobby5 on April 23, 2020, 12:41:38 PM
  I took your advice and had a gobbler on the edge of the field interested until 3 jakes come racing in and attack my jake and start mating my upright hen decoy lol. The gobbler did not like that jake decoy. Should i ditch the jake and use a single hen? If so would you go with the upright or the feeder?

I`ve done well with a single upright hen the last couple of seasons. That`s not to say the feeder wouldn`t work as well.