OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rib Mount Picatinny Rail for 1/4” Rib?

Started by AppalachianHollers, April 19, 2020, 08:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AppalachianHollers

Why do there seem to be none in this dimension?
I would love to pull my Vortex red dot off my AR for turkey season, but I need a rail that fits my Winchester SXP's rib.

Or has anyone successfully adapted a 3/8" mount to a 1/4" rib in some way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry

Have you looked at the Meadow Creek Mounts? There is a thread somewhere around here recently started about them.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

USMC0331

Meadow creek mounts

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AppalachianHollers

My only concern is my optic uses a cantilever ring mount, and I'm not sure the Meadow Creek are compatible. Can you put a picatinny strip on the meadow creek?

https://vortexoptics.com/red-dots/strikefire-ii-red-dot/vortex-strikefire-2-red-dot.html?vortex_reticle=1068

USMC0331

I do not beleive so.

AppalachianHollers

Afraid that won't work then. Need some way to get a picatinny/cantilever rail on the rib.

USMC0331

Sorry.

AppalachianHollers

I greatly appreciated the suggestion—if had the right kind of optic; it'd have been the winning ticket.

I'm just amazed that something so basic doesn't seem to exist in the wide market of aftermarket parts for this rid width.

lowoctane

Years ago I drilled and tapped the rib on my 870 SM and mounted a small red dot right on the rib.
It's held up nicely for many years. :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: lowoctane on April 28, 2020, 04:40:43 PM
Years ago I drilled and tapped the rib on my 870 SM and mounted a small red dot right on the rib.
I am increasingly convinced the only solution for me is to have my receiver drilled and tapped. Will be worth knowing the system can hold up to recoil.

WildSpur

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on April 28, 2020, 06:27:29 PM
Quote from: lowoctane on April 28, 2020, 04:40:43 PM
I am increasingly convinced the only solution for me is to have my receiver drilled and tapped. Will be worth knowing the system can hold up to recoil.

It can be done!

I just did this on my boys 870.  I found the 8-40 tap/bit and ran over to my father's to use his drill press.  I got it right the 1st time. Worse case you need to do it 2x and find flush screws to fill in the holes. 

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

gesthuntn

Is the SXP drilled and tapped? If so I would contact Sumtoy Customs and get one of his mounts.

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: gesthuntn on May 24, 2020, 08:27:49 PM
Is the SXP drilled and tapped? If so I would contact Sumtoy Customs and get one of his mounts.

Mine isn't, but I think on more recent models it comes standard. Haven't had mine drilled and tapped, yet, but will look into their mount system when I do.

gesthuntn

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: gesthuntn on May 25, 2020, 07:01:36 AM
This would work to mount a small red dot to. I have not used one but looks solid. https://www.opticsplanet.com/aimtech-remington-rib-rider-tactical-rail.html
I think the rib dimensions on the 870 are different, though.
Another thing is that I already have a "large," tube-like red dot, and don't plan on getting another.