OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mid/Late season tips  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Tadpole_Terry

Mid/Late season tips
« on: April 19, 2020, 07:01:56 PM »
I’m sure this has been covered on here at some point, but just like many old posts they just seem to fade away.

What are your best tips, approach, and strategies moving into the later part of the season? What has worked for you, and what have you noticed that worked earlier in the season that is no longer working?

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
Re: Mid/Late season tips
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 07:33:51 PM »
Scout, scout and then scout some more.  Know where the birds are and where they are most likely to go and be where they want to be.  Your odds of harvesting a bird will go way up if you do this one thing.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 10:42:24 AM »
My advice if you are hunting an area where there are reasonably numbers of gobblers is to not get hung up on hunting any one bird.  Gobblers that have been pressured will get where they will rarely approach a turkey call they hear without some visual signs that the hen they are hearing is the real deal. 

However, in areas with good turkey numbers, there are generally some birds around that, for whatever reason, have not been conditioned to avoid calling, and/or have otherwise just gotten into the "mood" where they will come to a call.   When I am hunting the late season, I am searching for those birds. 

If I am hunting a gobbler that reacts in such a way that I know he is probably not likely to come to my calling, I am going to go look for one that will.  Of course, that strategy only applies in circumstances where you have the room to roam to look for those birds.  If you don't then forget the above.  You may be relegated to finding where a gobbler wants to be and then waiting him out.

Offline leaf shaker

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 09:03:45 PM »
Bro don't have any idea. past the gobbling lull never had much luck :(