OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gun handling while working bird  (Read 8220 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Gun handling while working bird
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2021, 08:09:51 AM »
I try to get a comfortable set up tree, I always clear the leaves around it 360 degrees, (if I have time). I always have my knees up, only stretch legs out after long sits. The gun is always ready, and like Bowguy says, SAFETY ON. As he is coming, my gun is ready on my knee, pointed where I think he will appear. Most of the time, I am fairly close when he steps in range. Minor gun movement if necessary is only done when he steps behind something. I don’t like any “flash moves” on a gobbler. Then just before the shot, safety click which on some occasions has actually had him stop, raise his head, BOOM. Works way better than a Yelp, he doesn’t seem to panic on “click”.
“Solo hunter”

Offline btomlin

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2021, 06:56:42 PM »
I line up my right shoulder to my left knee to the bird or where I think the bird will be when I see him.  My gun is on against my shoulder or in arm pit and forearm is on my HS foam gun notch on my knee. I try to set up so the bird is in range when I see him so I can move quite a bit.  I'm a slow and deliberate mover of the gun.  I don't "herky jerky" it.  My safety is ON until it’s gonna happen.  Then with a thumb and finger on ea side, the safety is disengaged silently and the “booger picker” remains off the “bang switch” until Im ready to end it. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 10:30:43 AM by btomlin »

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2021, 09:50:23 AM »
I wish I could give you a method that works every time, but there are just so many variations.  I've had great successes and miserable failures over the years.

Probably the greatest success I had was a few years ago.  A gobbler hopped down from a roost 300 yards away and came silently to me through the back door on my left side.  I only knew he was there when he spit and drummed about 10 yards away.  All I could do was slide my shotgun from its resting place on the ground to my right and hope. I slid it along my lap.  It came up just as he walked into the scope picture. 

General rules:
1)  I keep the shotgun low and pointed down. Never have the barrel up in the air.
2)  I keep mine propped up slightly on a log or laying on something, but I keep it close to the ground.
3)  I try and turn so I'm  shooting at 2 O'Clock
4)  When I know there is a shot opportunity coming, I try and get my shotgun partially mounted and resting on my knee and generally pointed where I expect to take the shot.
4)  I keep a pushpin call between my right butt cheek and the tree, so I can reach down and use it if necessary.  I also make sure I have a mouth call in.
5)  I use a scope, and I've learned to lift my eye off and behold the turkey first before taking the shot.  Once I'm down on the scope, I can no longer judge range.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2021, 05:41:00 PM »
Here ya go.  I just had this installed on my vest.  I have a friend that is a Upholster and I had this stitched to the back of my vest.  It has a loop and runs up over my right shoulder.  The loop allows the stock of my shotgun to rest very near my right shoulder.  The barrel will rest on my left knee while seated and allows me to be handsfree to call or scratch in the leaves as needed.  Should be part of every vest.  Can be tucked away or thrown behind my back if I don't need it.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 05:52:42 PM by bbcoach »

Offline Number17

• Pennsylvania 4E
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2021, 10:26:59 AM »
I always have my gun resting on a bipod and leaning back into my shoulder so it's hands free.
The bipod "V" must be very shallow so I can pop the gun out and swing if I need to.
With the bipod leaning towards me, I can lift the gun barrel and let the bipod silently fall into my lap if I need to reposition for a quick shot to either side.
I taught myself as a kid to be able to shoot ambidextrously. It comes so naturally now that I no longer have a "weak side" shot. I just get comfortable and shoot off whichever shoulder is most convenient.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2021, 12:47:24 AM »
I don't keep my gun raised up all yhe time.The easiest part of turkey hunting is the shot. Inside 50 yards,  you should not miss.

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2021, 04:43:30 PM »
Great topic. I do a lot of the same things that many of you have talked about. Angling away from the predicted line of travel for more range of swing, removing all leaves from the base of a tree before long sits, always having the gun at ready, practicing non dominant eye/hand shooting, etc...

I want to add some of my experiences on some things previously discussed that ended up NOT working...

I had a bird skirt me hard on my non dominant side, so I had to move a quarter of the way around the base of the tree. I waited until he got behind a large oak. He was close, and I didnt want the leaves to spook him, so I called lightly while I slowly moved. Huge mistake. He popped his head from behind the oak and busted me in an instant.

Also, I DO NOT under any circumstances, call when I can see the gobbler as he is on his final approach, lets say within 50 yards of unobstructed view. If I have no cover between he and I, I will not call. I had a bird closing the gap very quick once. I was at the base of a tree in an open hardwood bottom. He was coming fast, so at about 25 yards I yelped to get him to stop. He knew the deal. He heard me and didnt see me, and took off like a bolt of lightning. I prefer to use my safety click to get the bird to stop. They normally stop dead in their tracks and stretch their neck out to look.

I do not like the "stay still and then swing real fast" method. The fast movement typically causes them to dart, and even if they dont, it just makes for a harder shot getting on target.
Psalm 46:10

Offline pastorp

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2021, 09:24:33 AM »
I remember sitting on a hillside overlooking a shallow canyon when a flock of turkeys came drifting up the canyon. I was hunting with a 50 caliber hawken muzzleloader so when one jake stopped right below me I shot him where the neck joins the body. Then since there were lots of birds up at my level and still below me I slowly reloaded my rifle and headshot one about 20 yards away. If you move slow as molasses and wear good camo and a little face paint you would be surprised how much movement you can get away with.

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2021, 10:13:39 AM »
When I sit and call I have my gun up and on my knee the entire time. I would say I am in tbe shooting position the whole hunt.
If nothing is happening I may take a quick break from that position but for the most part I am always ready to shoot. If a bird answers or circles I can just jockey to position in that direction.

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2021, 07:00:59 PM »
Resting across my lap with safety on. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.