turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Alternatives to Turkey Vest

Started by AppalachianHollers, April 19, 2020, 02:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris O

I have used ziplock bags for pot calls, bread sacks for box calls in a pinch. I also have my pot calls in cuzie's or a sock to keep them from banging around in my vest. If I know it's going to be wet I carry only waterproof pots and I tend to leave my box calls at home. A back pack or any kind of bag would work to carry your stuff in until you get what you are looking for

ElkTurkMan

I received My Glenda Green Satchel today.  I am blown away by how nice this is and well thought out it is. She also threw in a leather pot call holder, which was a pleasant surprise.  It's going to be pushing the 80 degree mark this week in GA and it will be nice to be toting this instead of wearing the hot vest.     

Here turkey turkey turkey

I don't use decoys but I bought a 20 some dollar Allen fanny pack that does fine and dandy for me. My old turkey vest is now retired. It is in rough shape. I did cut the seat off of it and used a small carabiner and attached it to the fanny pack. It is cheap and works for me.
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

GobbleNut

Honestly, what someone needs to carry their stuff really depends on the type of hunting they do.  For me personally, it is not unusual for me to put in 5 to 10 miles a day looking for a receptive gobbler.  Over the years, I have determined that the best accessory for that is a plain-old "daypack-type" backpack.  Plenty of storage spaces and compartments for carrying the "stuff" I will need on my hikes,...and without everything flopping/banging around on my waist, legs, and chest as I am trying to cover ground.

That's not to say that there isn't a time and place for a vest, satchel/purse, or other contraption, but there are definitely conditions where carrying one of those items is going to inhibit your ability to get where you need to get to kill a gobbler.  Moral of my story: Be prepared for the conditions under which you will be hunting.   

AppalachianHollers

What do those of you who use something other than a vest use for a seat? I've got a MidwayUSA inflatable pad that buckles around the waist. It's great, but there's a definite limit to how long you can sit comfortably at the base of a tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonasa

I carry a small pelican box, holds three pots, 3 strikers and a trumpet, fits in a cargo pocket.

wchadw

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on April 30, 2020, 04:28:13 PM
What do those of you who use something other than a vest use for a seat? I've got a MidwayUSA inflatable pad that buckles around the waist. It's great, but there's a definite limit to how long you can sit comfortably at the base of a tree.

Yea. I either carry alps vanish or a fat boy cushion