OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Have I removed enough of the webbing?  (Read 4680 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Have I removed enough of the webbing?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 09:05:31 PM »
You did get really thin on that one side of the bone for sure .. good luck with it..
Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 10:27:50 PM »
if this was me, I would want to get rid of those chips, nicks and notches, they eventually are going to snag on something and split your call, if this was a horse hoof I would say you have work to do before nailing on a shoe

unless you are tuning this as a gobbler call or just want a call with some character in it.

look at your bottom pic, I would make an angled cut to get rid of the notches. and this will also cut out some of your thin spots which could be a later problem

start at the top, just skimming the top and angle to the bottom, taking off  just enough to get behind the "U" notch. before you do it, hold a piece of paper up to your picture to get an idea of the angle and what it will look like

without a Dremel, the finest tooth hacksaw will make a nicer cut, then bevel the edge slightly with a fine file to prevent more nicks,
without a Dremel and for your first one, I would probably leave the remaining webbing

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 10:35:57 PM »
if this was me, I would want to get rid of those chips, nicks and notches, they eventually are going to snag on something and split your call, if this was a horse hoof I would say you have work to do before nailing on a shoe

unless you are tuning this as a gobbler call or just want a call with some character in it.

look at your bottom pic, I would make an angled cut to get rid of the notches. and this will also cut out some of your thin spots which could be a later problem

start at the top, just skimming the top and angle to the bottom, taking off  just enough to get behind the "U" notch. before you do it, hold a piece of paper up to your picture to get an idea of the angle and what it will look like

without a Dremel, the finest tooth hacksaw will make a nicer cut, then bevel the edge slightly with a fine file to prevent more nicks,
without a Dremel and for your first one, I would probably leave the remaining webbing
Getting ready to head to bed so this reply will be short, I apologize for that. I want to keep as much on it as possible as I intend to get it painted. I will take it out this year as is and then send off to be painted and it will then be a memory piece. I did buy a coping saw (Hope I spelled that right) for making the cuts to make the pieces fit together. I have to head out, I have to be up at 5 in the morning. Make any reply and I will comment back when I get home. Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2020, 08:12:45 AM »
Sounds like a lot of work. Hope it turns out well for you and you hammer a Big Gobbler using it.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2020, 10:01:58 AM »
https://www.harborfreight.com/Rotary-Tool-Kit-80-Pc-63235.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzkzMzUzMjAiLCJza3UiOiI2MzIzNSIsImlzIjoiNi45OSIsInByb2R1Y3RfaWQi%0D%0AOiIxMjA4OCJ9%0D%0A&cid=paid_google|||63235&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8o7025T36AIVA4rICh3eJwYcEAQYBCABEgLnF_D_BwE

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 01:15:41 PM »
Sounds like a lot of work. Hope it turns out well for you and you hammer a Big Gobbler using it.
Thanks, I hope so as well! :)

https://www.harborfreight.com/Rotary-Tool-Kit-80-Pc-63235.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzkzMzUzMjAiLCJza3UiOiI2MzIzNSIsImlzIjoiNi45OSIsInByb2R1Y3RfaWQi%0D%0AOiIxMjA4OCJ9%0D%0A&cid=paid_google|||63235&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8o7025T36AIVA4rICh3eJwYcEAQYBCABEgLnF_D_BwE

Thanks bud, I will not be able to order that before next month but if I get another this year I will have it to use then. I could wait to put it together, just took it out of the peroxide though after 8 hours. For some reason one of them did not turn out very white.

John Koenig:

Offline LabsRUsII

• TTP Game Calls
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 01:18:38 PM »
Ieave mine in a min of 48 hrs, is it yellow?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Custom Call Maker
Turkey Calls- Trumpets, Tubes, Pots, Boxes
 Duck Calls and whistles
Exotic woods

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2020, 01:20:04 PM »
Ieave mine in a min of 48 hrs, is it yellow?

Yes, give me a minute I will post a picture.

John Koenig:

Offline LabsRUsII

• TTP Game Calls
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 01:26:41 PM »
Did u wash off w water and set in sun to dry?

Custom Call Maker
 Duck Calls and whistles
Exotic woods

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 01:30:58 PM »
Did u wash off w water and set in sun to dry?

Well when I went back to look they all seem to be yellowed so I put them back in the peroxide. I did not know about putting them in the sun and was going to rinse them off but now I am just going to leave them in the peroxide for another 40 hours I guess. I thought I had heard 8 hours, may well be I was told 48

IMG_1036 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1035 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1034 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

John Koenig:

Offline LabsRUsII

• TTP Game Calls
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2020, 01:33:34 PM »
How long after harvesting did u clean the wing bones
Did you blow the marrow out before boiling them in salt water?

Custom Call Maker
 Duck Calls and whistles
Exotic woods

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2020, 01:38:33 PM »
How long after harvesting did u clean the wing bones
Did you blow the marrow out before boiling them in salt water?

It did take me a few days to clean the bones, they were kept in the refrigerator though. I did get the marrow out, before boiling in the 20 mule borax and dawn 3 separate times. I was following this video to do it as well as getting advise here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWmd8CT7oD0

John Koenig:

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2020, 07:55:09 PM »
You got to get all that grease out of there. Doesn't look like you got all the marrow out. Use some dawn in your water or Arm and Hammer washing powder.
What kind of peroxide are you using? You want 40 strength.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2020, 08:01:44 PM »
You got to get all that grease out of there. Doesn't look like you got all the marrow out. Use some dawn in your water or Arm and Hammer washing powder.
What kind of peroxide are you using? You want 40 strength.
I did not see any left in there, scrubbed through it several times with pipe cleaners and wire pipe cleaners and then decided to boil the the 20 mule Borax and Dawn again. They have been boiled that way at least 6 hours, scrubbed inside as described twice and I used the 40 volume stuff I had asked you about in one of our messages. It is soaking in it again now. Sorry if that comes off wrong, was just trying to say what I had already done and what I had used and am using. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OKA0EI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2020, 05:45:31 PM »
I have my wingbone all bleached out and ready to cut, I am just very nervous and I guess intimidated to do it.

IMG_1084 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1083 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1085 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

John Koenig: