turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Have I removed enough of the webbing?

Started by Sir-diealot, April 19, 2020, 02:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I am working I finishing this wingbone so I have it for the May 1 opener here in NY and was wondering if I have removed enough of the webbing to get it to sound decent? Also picture of the file set I bought to work on this.

IMG_1026 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1025 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1024 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1027 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

larry9988

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Rapscallion Vermilion

It takes time, but I like them a lot smoother than that.  I used the round rasp for most of it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on April 19, 2020, 04:21:19 PM
It takes time, but I like them a lot smoother than that.  I used the round rasp for most of it.
I have no problem taking more off if need be, never done this before and just want to get it right. The only real round one I have is the one shown in far right of picture of kit, there is a smaller one but it is not really completely round, it is one I have been using.

John Koenig:

crow

The shell or outside of the bone is not uniform in thickness, there will be areas thinner than others.
these areas can get too thin very quickly when removing the webbing,

you have a ways to go before that happens but as you clean out the webbing hold it up to a strong light every so often and look from the inside out for thin spots

Sir-diealot

Quote from: crow on April 19, 2020, 05:17:00 PM
The shell or outside of the bone is not uniform in thickness, there will be areas thinner than others.
these areas can get too thin very quickly when removing the webbing,

you have a ways to go before that happens but as you clean out the webbing hold it up to a strong light every so often and look from the inside out for thin spots
Thank you for that advise, I wish I had seen it sooner, I got a bit thinner than I would have liked in one part and it caused a chip. I will post pictures in a second comment. I do not think I am going to remove anymore.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

I think I am done removing, I got a bit thinner than I would have liked in one part and it caused a chip before I realized it as can be seen in one of the pictures. I would like to get some of that off on the inside right and left edges but the files just can seem to do it because of the curve the webbing is on.

IMG_1033 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1032 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

Photo with chip.

IMG_1031 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1030 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1029 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1028 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

Oh the one edge has not been done much because there is already a large chip and hairline crack there so I did not want to thin that part out to much. Here is a picture of that.
IMG_1017 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

I take that back about the hairline crack, turns out looking at the picture that it is just a piece of dog hair that got in the picture.
IMG_1012 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

John Koenig:

LabsRUsII

I use a foredom with a carbide round bit
Cleans it up a lot quicker than files.
Use it to fit all pieces together too
Also to remove excess epoxy

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Custom Call Maker
Turkey Calls- Trumpets, Tubes, Pots, Boxes
Duck Calls and whistles
Exotic woods

Sir-diealot

Quote from: LabsRUsII on April 19, 2020, 06:28:40 PM
I use a foredom with a carbide round bit
Cleans it up a lot quicker than files.
Use it to fit all pieces together too
Also to remove excess epoxy

Forgive the question but I am pretty useless with tools, what is a foredom, is that kinda like a Dremel tool? I looked at those but just could not justify the price to make a single call. I do appreciate the help though. This is my list for things I would like to get for building, I still want to do some more kits and stuff so that is why some of the stuff is there. https://smile.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/26FKYZPIR5650?&sort=default

John Koenig:

LabsRUsII

Custom Call Maker
Duck Calls and whistles
Exotic woods

Sir-diealot

Quote from: LabsRUsII on April 19, 2020, 06:38:10 PM
https://www.foredom.net/product-category/flex-shaft-tools/flex-shaft-motors-speed-controls/

Oh okay, to be honest that is much more than I can afford and I am not sure the electric in this house would handle that anyway, I can't run the AC and toaster at the same time without blowing a fuse.

John Koenig:

LabsRUsII

For "sandpaper"  i use abranet
I buy it by the yard from kmottsknives .com
Call or email john and ask him to make you an assortment 120,180,240,320,400,600,800
Say a foot of each
He also has the best ca and epoxy.
Foredoms too but over $300

Custom Call Maker
Duck Calls and whistles
Exotic woods

Sir-diealot

Quote from: LabsRUsII on April 19, 2020, 06:43:22 PM
For "sandpaper"  i use abranet
I buy it by the yard from kmottsknives .com
Call or email john and ask him to make you an assortment 120,180,240,320,400,600,800
Say a foot of each
He also has the best ca and epoxy.
Foredoms too but over $300

I will keep the information but for right now it is not financially feasible, would not be til June or July at least. I really enjoyed making the pot call I made and am enjoying this as well. I had a kit to make a box call but donated it to help raise money for a kid that lost his leg to cancer, I will buy that kit again next month and will have it by the middle of the season to use.

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

You did get really thin on that one side of the bone for sure .. good luck with it..