Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How far from road, wooded public land?

Started by AppalachianHollers, April 19, 2020, 12:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AppalachianHollers

I've held it to be a rule of thumb that when hunting public, you don't want to hunt a field right off or within a short walk of a vehicle-accessible road. Even on opening day, you're probably not the only hunter there.

But does the same hold true when hunting wooded areas? I'm map-scouting some nice ridges above creeks (so it's a steep-ish hike) that are not far from roads, or at the very end of long, winding NF roads. Some have clearings nearby, others don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Many people are very lazy even in their hunting these days, the closer they can hunt to their vehicles the better. I would try to go further away, before my car accident I remember walking in miles to turkey hunt and I would not see anyone. I can't walk that far anymore so I can't go in as far and I see a lot more people now when hunting public and trespassers on private.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

howl

You go where the birds are regardless. I've killed them close to the truck and far away.

AppalachianHollers

I guess my suspicion is that the lazy folk y'all reference don't like going steep uphill, so an area that's very close as the crow flies might still be enormously productive if the habitat is right. Worst case scenario I hear nothing at dawn, see no sign, and head down a logging road to try somewhere more remote.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on April 19, 2020, 02:52:14 PM
I guess my suspicion is that the lazy folk y'all reference don't like going steep uphill, so an area that's very close as the crow flies might still be enormously productive if the habitat is right. Worst case scenario I hear nothing at dawn, see no sign, and head down a logging road to try somewhere more remote.

Yes, that was part of my thought. By the way, do these ridges have areas flat enough to have a turkey do it's thing? If not what they like it does not make much sense to go there.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

AppalachianHollers

That's a very good point, else they're probably just passing through at best. I guess you're thinking of possible strut zones?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on April 19, 2020, 03:29:01 PM
That's a very good point, else they're probably just passing through at best. I guess you're thinking of possible strut zones?

Yes, that was exactly my thought. I am sure that it does not have to be perfectly flat, but you will want to be in a place you have cover and can see them as well.

John Koenig:

silvestris

I don't like to get much farther than fifty yards from the truck.  I am afraid I might get lost.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: silvestris on April 19, 2020, 05:13:55 PM
I don't like to get much farther than fifty yards from the truck.  I am afraid I might get lost.
I need to get a compass for those mountain ridge hunts. Easy to stay oriented where there's fields, but subtle landmarks have a funny way of looking big and getting me to second-guess.
Don't want to get lost in the dark and inadvertently end up between a bear sow and her cubs.

Sir-diealot

Don't worry guy, the cops will tune into your ankle bracelet and come get you in time. :P

John Koenig:

Bowguy

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on April 19, 2020, 05:17:28 PM
I need to get a compass for those mountain ridge hunts. Easy to stay oriented where there's fields, but subtle landmarks have a funny way of looking big and getting me to second-guess.
Don't want to get lost in the dark and inadvertently end up between a bear sow and her cubs.

That bear sow n her cubs thing is crazy overblown. Any mama will protect her young. I haven't dealt w brown bears so I can't comment on them but black bears are no worry.
Need to get a compass?? Different day n age I guess. Good to get one. It's easy but learn to use it

CAPTJJ

I prefer to hunt woods and mountains, that's the terrain where I live. And I have killed plenty of turkeys with a bow near the road, not because I am lazy, just that is where they are hanging out.

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: CAPTJJ on April 19, 2020, 08:12:45 PM
I prefer to hunt woods and mountains, that's the terrain where I live. And I have killed plenty of turkeys with a bow near the road, not because I am lazy, just that is where they are hanging out.
Besides maybe being the path of least resistance and offering a clear field of view, I have wondered if they pick up gravel for their gizzards off remote roads.

Greg Massey

Agree it all depends on were the birds are located ...

Kylongspur88

Gotta hunt where the birds are, but around here road birds don't last long. Pretty much all the public land I hunt is wooded. Most folks stick to the ridges leading from parking areas. Put a few big hills and a mile or two between you and the parking areas and you'll separate the men from the boys. I've got one hardwood ridge I like to run that's 1.8 miles from the truck and 2 steep climbs to get too. If I ever see anyone else back there I'll probably just congratulate them on the climb and offer them some water.