OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best box call you ever ran but with a twist!

Started by chufagold, April 12, 2020, 01:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2nd 100

The #4 Paddle call Neil Cost ever made Cedar over Black Walnut ! I played it 2019 at Lamar Williams shop after lunch with the owner . He and a friend were hunting near Mr Lamars and we all went to lunch . Made some pics with it and spent the rest of the afternoon playing some of Mr Lamar's creations and some from his Mentor Neil "Gobbler" Cost's old calls . That walnut paddle call was the absolute best Cost call i've ever held or heard run and thats close to 20 of them . To say I was awestruck was an understatement ! BTY Thank you again Mr Jerry .

2nd 100

That Cost Paddle was started May 1989 and finished January 1992 .
Ive been after Mr Lamar to build me one like that for @ 5 yrs or better . Really hate I didn't get to get down there this yr with all this Beer Virus and such ...!

crow

I got to run Ralph Snodgrass's personal paddle call, his "riverboat call"
it is by far the best box call of any type I've ran.

I've played a number of different fiddles, (violins not Marlins calls.)
some felt and sounded like a 2x4, a couple of the best ones had a certain feel or vibration that is hard to describe but besides sounding great you could feel a certain liveliness in it.

The "Riverboat" has that sound and same feel to it.

Chris O

Quote from: crow on April 21, 2020, 07:32:57 PM

some felt and sounded like a 2x4, a couple of the best ones had a certain feel or vibration that is hard to describe but besides sounding great you could feel a certain liveliness in it.

Ralph knew he had something special with that box so he kept it. Makes you wonder how many calls these guys make before they get that extra special one that sounds just a little better than the rest. And how many that they had to ship away but really wanted to keep it for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Chris O on April 21, 2020, 11:20:40 PM
Ralph knew he had something special with that box so he kept it. Makes you wonder how many calls these guys make before they get that extra special one that sounds just a little better than the rest. And how many that they had to ship away but really wanted to keep it for themselves.

For very special calls at that level, I believe that there are qualities inherent in particular pieces of wood that the callmaker has little control over.  A gift of the wood.

yelpy

I have the sister. I ran it too amongst a couple others of his personal stash.

paboxcall

Quote from: yelpy on April 22, 2020, 05:59:16 PM

I ran that Snozz secret stash too.

My mac ebony over chestnut mini Snozz box was a personal call of his and I talked him out of it after hearing it just once. Any my persimmon box, Ralph offers to buy that one back every time we see each other.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

crow

Quote from: paboxcall on April 22, 2020, 07:34:32 PM
Quote from: yelpy on April 22, 2020, 05:59:16 PM

I ran that Snozz secret stash too.

My mac ebony over chestnut mini Snozz box was a personal call of his and I talked him out of it after hearing it just once. Any my persimmon box, Ralph offers to buy that one back every time we see each other.

the riverboat, I still think it outshines them all