OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Long Vs Short boxes?  (Read 2014 times)

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
Long Vs Short boxes?
« on: April 18, 2020, 11:09:55 PM »
What’s the main differences between the two? I’m assuming the long is going to be much louder than the short. I have a Primos Heartbreaker and and Halloran Purpleheart/cedar short box that I really like but I’m one of the type that I like to have good looking stuff on my shelf so I just sit my Halloran on the book shelf and don’t hunt with it. Really like the Halloran Ebony/Walnut short sound but wanted to check on the differences between the two before I ordered one

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: Long Vs Short boxes?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 12:25:41 AM »
One's not louder than the other, you can broadcast on either a long or short box or play all the soft, quiet stuff, though I think getting quiet is easier on the long box.

The answer to your question is long boxes have more versatility. Across the rail of long box, you can kee-kee, yelp like a young hen, older hen, a jake, and gobbler, then change your hand position on the beaver tail and sound like different birds all over again. Then, switch rails and find even more birds all over again.

Here - this will help:

"
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Online packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 08:58:51 AM »
paboxcall that just about sums it up!

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 10:24:11 AM »
Can you explain the difference in sound between a “young hen” and “old hen”? Just the rasp difference?

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 10:43:34 AM »
Can you explain the difference in sound between a “young hen” and “old hen”? Just the rasp difference?

Yes, little deeper tone, with some rasp.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 02:05:22 PM »
Youve already gone the shortbox and halloran route time o expand,, try a longbox,, an Ernie fetters is very reasonable same or less then a halloran shortbox,,the link that was posted for a Snodgrass gets you a longbox master.
If you want sound,cool,and looks for the shelf a Dan Wittenberg longbox is has good has it gets.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 03:25:31 PM »
Long box you can Kee Kee better on it than short box , i disagree that it's not louder than short box , most long boxes will have high pitch front to cut the wind better .. just my opinion ... also carrying one is little more difficult.

Offline milertyme03

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 08:29:22 AM »
Long boxes will typically have a higher and longer front end due the longer rail.