turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

H&R single barrel 20

Started by Tuffonturkeys, April 17, 2020, 06:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuffonturkeys

Just picked one up at a pawn shop recently. Thinking about making a turkey gun out of it so Me and my son can use it. Its a fixed full but probably gonna have it threaded for a choke.. anyone shooting this gun what load  would be a good place to start with?

crow

I hunt with an older savage 20 single barrel fixed full choke, it did well with the federal flight control wads in several loads

with lead shot 35yds was about as far as I could get ethical patterns with any of the turkey loads.

It shot very good patterns with Federal HVWT #6 and #7's well past 40yds
It shot TSS reload patterns well past where I would shoot at a turkey.

tnanh

I have one and like it a lot. It has a scope on it and shoots hevi 13 6s great with a Carlson 575 and 7s with a Sum Toy 562. Sum Toy threaded for chokes and tapped the barrel for a scope. I like the single shot turkey guns. I have 2 20s and a 12. The scope is mounted pretty much on the barrel.

Tuffonturkeys

Wow thats good information i never thought about putting a scope on it because of it being a single shot i just couldn't see a way to do it but i see that it can.. wonder if i could put a rail on it and a reflex sight

tnanh

One of my 20s has a scope. The other a ff3. It is done all the time. William at sum toy did both of mine. One with a scope rail and one with a ff3 mount. He also did a 12 gauge single shot with a scope rail.

Liljake

I have one with a 21"barrel, camouflage synthetic stock, scope rail and a reflex sight. It's very light (5.5 lbs) a real pleasure to carry.
Having barrel work done + choke tube will probably cost more than you paid for the gun. Try some hevi13 #7, longbeard xr #6 or if you can find them the discontinued Federal heavyweight #7 and see how it shoots before contacting a gunsmith.
I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

paboxcall

My H&R single is a 12 gauge, but Sumtoy D/T the barrel and installed fiber optic, fully adjustable rifle sights on it.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

mad815

Years ago I purchased a single shot 12 ga. NEF.  I changed it over to a 20ga. with threaded tube by sending it back to Remington or Marlin to fit the new 20ga. on ..  I installed my own peep sight on the rail .   It became my goto turkey gun.   I've used the federal flite control heavyweight # 7's ---  Killer---- even with screw in factory full choke,  it's  very effective .  The flite control likes the full choke.   Web

Yoder409

The kids and I are running 4 H&R / NEF single 20's.   Sumtoy d&t for an EGW picatinny rail.......also Sumtoy threaded the muzzles and their .562-5 tube.  We run the discontinued Federal Heavy 7's.   Old skool Burris 135 red-dots on top.   Nice, light little guns that are bad to the bone on gobblers.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Tuffonturkeys on April 17, 2020, 06:05:13 PM
Just picked one up at a pawn shop recently. Thinking about making a turkey gun out of it so Me and my son can use it. Its a fixed full but probably gonna have it threaded for a choke.. anyone shooting this gun what load  would be a good place to start with?

My wife hunts with a 20ga Pardner fixed modified and anything under 30 is a dead bird. She used to shoot the Hevi Shot Triple Beards out of it and that gun shot those mixed loads really well. Tried some TSS in it this year though and it patterned them incredibly well. I think in a fixed choke gun that extra shot can be a lifesaver even if they want gold bars for a box of them. Honestly I don't know that I'd thread it. Fixed full would be a perfectly fine 30 and under gun and it may very well stretch to 35 or 40 with TSS. I'd let it be a first gun for the son and use any money you were going to use to thread it to buy him a call celebrating the one he takes with it.

chatterbox

I just got my H&R back from William. He threaded the barrel for me, and installed a .562 choke. He also drilled and tapped the barrel for one of his FF bases.
I added a tactical ATI stock, but kept the stock forearm, and painted it black.
I shot winchester longbeards out of her, and got 167 in the 10 at 30. Pattern was perfect!
Super pleased with the work from SumToy Customs. Won't use anyone else!!