OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Would you hunt this pattern?  (Read 5563 times)

Offline DKG

Would you hunt this pattern?
« on: April 17, 2020, 05:46:28 PM »
My targets were MIA so I improvised while I wait for the new ones to come in. Used standard notebook paper.
30 yards
Mossberg 930
26” barrel
Carlson’s .680 tube
Long beard 5s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline huntinsomd

Re: Would you hunt this pattern?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 06:40:22 PM »
Looks deadly at that distance. I'd like to see it at 40yds.

Offline DKG

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 06:41:47 PM »
Looks deadly at that distance. I'd like to see it at 40yds.
Unfortunately all the ranges around here are closed and I only have 30 yards at my aunt’s property. I’m going to try an stretch it out to 40.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 06:47:51 PM »
You really need a bigger paper as well

Offline huntinsomd

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 06:55:40 PM »
I agree about the target size. It's hard to tell what the rest of the pattern looks like. That choke may be a little more open than what I've been using lately with smallbore guns and TSS.

Offline DKG

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 06:58:00 PM »
It was surprisingly centered, but like I said, it was just an improvised target and backer which was a small cardboard box. I have a much larger backer for once my targets get here.

Online BrowningGuy88

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 07:26:27 AM »
If the pattern is centered and you aren’t going to try to stretch its legs, yeah hunt it.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 04:41:10 AM »
If you CAN then shoot at , at least a 2'x2' target to see your entire pattern. IF it's centered then you might could try choking it down a bit. But only AFTER you get a bigger target. IF you can't, and this is all you have to go on I'd say hunt it but I'd limit my shots to no more than 35 yds.  Good luck!

Offline DKG

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 12:22:06 PM »
If you CAN then shoot at , at least a 2'x2' target to see your entire pattern. IF it's centered then you might could try choking it down a bit. But only AFTER you get a bigger target. IF you can't, and this is all you have to go on I'd say hunt it but I'd limit my shots to no more than 35 yds.  Good luck!
Thank you! I had a tighter choke, but it got stuck in my cousin’s gun and unfortunately got ruined getting it out.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 05:52:51 PM »
There’s about two ways a choke could get stuck in a gun. One it was put in w nothing n left. Use some sort of anti seize to prevent this. Two the wrong thread pattern and it was forced in partway and you damaged threads. Realize there’s lots of thread patterns.
Next you say you’ll have bigger paper to shoot at once your targets get here. You don’t need targets. I sorta consider them a waste. You could trace your hand and do a thanksgiving kids thing if you really want something close to a head. You could also buy one just anywhere and print copies or there’s places to download em free.
As a kid I used old sheets of newspaper. Not sure if they still sell newspapers but Walmart has moving paper. It’s cheap, maybe 2’ square. Plenty big, today’s loads ought to place most pellets on there. Remember to start close, finalize your sighting in close than check pattern from afar. Doing the opposite could result in a gun slightly off up close n cause close misses.  Any old box would work too. I’m an electrician so whatever tape is in my truck I stick a small piece to aim at n that’s it. Havent bought a target in years. You only want a fairly dense yet imo somewhat forgiving pattern w limited holes in it.
Home Depot sells paper rolls too. As someone stated on another thread, something I never thought of, wrapping paper. It’s all over for cheap or free after the holidays. You could use that too.
Just ideas for ya, hope you don’t mind

Offline DKG

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 05:56:11 PM »
There’s about two ways a choke could get stuck in a gun. One it was put in w nothing n left. Use some sort of anti seize to prevent this. Two the wrong thread pattern and it was forced in partway and you damaged threads. Realize there’s lots of thread patterns.
Next you say you’ll have bigger paper to shoot at once your targets get here. You don’t need targets. I sorta consider them a waste. You could trace your hand and do a thanksgiving kids thing if you really want something close to a head. You could also buy one just anywhere and print copies or there’s places to download em free.
As a kid I used old sheets of newspaper. Not sure if they still sell newspapers but Walmart has moving paper. It’s cheap, maybe 2’ square. Plenty big, today’s loads ought to place most pellets on there. Remember to start close, finalize your sighting in close than check pattern from afar. Doing the opposite could result in a gun slightly off up close n cause close misses.  Any old box would work too. I’m an electrician so whatever tape is in my truck I stick a small piece to aim at n that’s it. Havent bought a target in years. You only want a fairly dense yet imo somewhat forgiving pattern w limited holes in it.
Home Depot sells paper rolls too. As someone stated on another thread, something I never thought of, wrapping paper. It’s all over for cheap or free after the holidays. You could use that too.
Just ideas for ya, hope you don’t mind
Guns in question were Mossberg 500 and 930.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 06:49:36 PM »
I’m not sure what you’re saying.

Offline DKG

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 06:55:52 PM »
I’m not sure what you’re saying.
It wasn’t different choke threads, the threads in the barrel of the 500 were shot upon further inspection.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 07:00:47 PM »
Gotcha. He musta cross threaded another choke?

Offline DKG

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 07:20:08 PM »
That’s what I’m thinking, if not him, his brother borrowed it to deal with a coyote. So it could have been then. But neither one was taught how to properly care for and clean a firearm.