OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Public land  (Read 7125 times)

Offline Bowslinger

Public land
« on: April 14, 2020, 04:36:46 PM »
How many hunt it. I do my self its all I have too hunt.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
Re: Public land
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 04:58:14 PM »
I have a few small tracts to hunt that are private.  Been on public all but 2 hunts this year.  There are birds on one of the places, I have seen tracks.  But no room to move so it is sit and wait and pray.  Not much fun.  As the season is winding down and I still have one to kill, I may give him a little  more attention.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline rstewart8706

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 05:28:07 PM »
Public land is all I have to hunt.

Offline ManfromGreenSwamp

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 05:36:46 PM »
Florida public land and private land typically runs 50/50 or 40/60 for me. Gotta stay humble lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“First one to the carcass gets the most”
-T.Farley

“I’m livin ta rest, I was born tired”
-B.Button

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 06:28:29 PM »
Public only for me. We get a couple come on to our property in North Central Mn once in awhile but I leave them be.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 07:28:21 PM »
Love public land: hunt, fish and cut wood. Great place to roam as I have come across old homesteads, stills and a graveyard that was very old, out of the way and probably lost.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 07:38:47 PM »
I only hunt public. Leases are too small for the kind of hunting I like to do.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 08:21:11 PM »
I got asked to a lease once that was 5000 acres of good turkey hunting land and very affordable.  Not many turkey hunters, just a few.  Most all dog hunted deer.  I had just joined another lease that was loaded with birds and all swamp hunting (my favorite) and money was tight back then.  They have never asked me again. I know about everyone in it.  Shame that the timing was bad as someone has to die near about to open a spot.  I went to church with the man that passed. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 09:52:11 PM »
I hunt public quite a bit.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 11:23:37 PM »
I do off and on.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Alex T.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 10:01:37 AM »
All kinds of public with all kinds of birds here. Have access to a few thousand acres of private too.  :funnyturkey:

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 12:17:35 PM »
Public land is often easier. If you don’t have exclusive rights to a giant piece of property you’re sharing birds.
Public land is much bigger and if you use distancing techniques you’d be way ahead. Nothing is harder about public birds unless you hunt w everyone else. Don’t do it. Make space

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 04:44:33 PM »
90% public and 10% private.  I will add my best all around gobbler(21.5 lbs. 11" beard, 1 3/8" spurs) was taken on public land.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline G squared 23

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 07:44:07 PM »
I have hunted (the same) small private pieces, but I’m considering a public land hunt in a national forest for the first time.  It’s intimidating to take the plunge.  I’ve done for deer hunting and shot a few does, but haven’t tried it for turkeys.  I’m not a great turkey hunter and I’d imagine I would look even worse hunting heavily pressured birds.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 08:12:04 PM »
I have hunted (the same) small private pieces, but I’m considering a public land hunt in a national forest for the first time.  It’s intimidating to take the plunge.  I’ve done for deer hunting and shot a few does, but haven’t tried it for turkeys.  I’m not a great turkey hunter and I’d imagine I would look even worse hunting heavily pressured birds.
Nah.  They are still turkeys.  Just find one that has not been called at constantly and is willing to play and you will be golden. A lot of the heroes on here give the public land bird mythical status and intelligence.  It just makes them feel better.