OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Raspiest Mouth Call

Started by WorkingBirds, April 14, 2020, 09:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WorkingBirds

Searching for a really good raspy raspy mouth call. I've tried quite a few with different style cuts but just can't seem to get that old raspy crisp sound that I'd like to hear. I usually get the crisp sound with minor rasp, even with loosing up on the reeds. Could you include the maker and cut version you'd use? Thanks in advance.

WildTigerTrout

The raspiest mouth call I have and use is the Primos "True Triple".  It's a triple frame call with a single reed in each frame so it is very bulky.  Many guys can't use it for that reason. If you can use it you will like it.  It is very versatile depending on how much pressure you put on it and how hard you run the air across the reeds. I call it the "Big Nasty"!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Happy hooker

x2 TRUE TRIPPLE,,great call and not that hard to use

Bowguy

Uncle dickies tickler is really raspy.

blake_08

For me, Combo cuts are raspy and i just got a Ninja Hammer from Woodhaven that has quite a bit of rasp on the front end of the yelp.

WorkingBirds

Thanks for the responses, I'll be ordering a couple and give them a try.

DMTJAGER

My absolutely most raspy mouth call is my Primos aluminum frame tripple stacked mouth call.
A close second is the Primos true double. Both have every year for ten years now saved my season by getting late morning and mid day toms to gobble and give away his location when nothing else would.

Forgot to ad, both calls are VERY easy to use and can be quiet to VERY loud.

vt35mag

For a production mouth call, tom teasers teaser pleaser is the raspiest I've tried

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Here's a suggested alternative:  take any call you have and, using scissors, deepen the cuts (very slightly) in the top/cut reed.  Often, that will give you more rasp in the call. 

WorkingBirds

Thanks for the tip, I can cut a few older ones that are going to be replaced by the new ones I'd like to try.