OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 20 ga Afinity users please step inside.....  (Read 5065 times)

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

20 ga Afinity users please step inside.....
« on: April 14, 2020, 07:49:39 AM »
Hi guys,

I am entertaining adding another 20 ga turkey gun to the stable and I am considering the Franchi Afinity compact. My question is what are you running for optic and mount on your gun? A picture or two of your current rig would be very much appreciated.

Did your gun shoot POA to POI?

Also.....any recommendations on chokes for running Federal TSS 3” #7s ( they are the finest shot size we allowed in CT)

Thank you all in advance. DD :OGturkeyhead:

Offline Ondavirg

Re: 20 ga Afinity users please step inside.....
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 09:41:31 AM »
Mine shoots POA.  My son killed his first turkey with federal tss 9s a few weeks ago using a primos tightwad choke.  I believe it’s .575.  I wanted a tighter pattern so I got a sumtoy .562 and that will be my go to from now on.  The down side to the federal loads is the cycling issue.  They won’t cycle in mine due to their overall length. I ordered some apex that are a good bit shorter.  Hopefully they will cycle like all the 3” duck loads my son put through it last year.  Other than the cycling issue I like the gun and will likely use it myself some. 

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 08:08:46 PM »
On....thank you...great info. I wasn’t aware of the issue with not ejecting Federals. I appreciate your time sir!

Anyone else?

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 08:13:44 PM »
On....thank you...great info. I wasn’t aware of the issue with not ejecting Federals. I appreciate your time sir!

Anyone else?

It will eject them just fine. The trouble is with the following shell. If too long, it will hang.

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 08:54:31 PM »
Spurs...thank you for the clarification. Much appreciated.

Keep the comments coming please. :smiley-char092:

Offline mossyoakpro

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 09:26:32 PM »
I have the standard Affinity 20...I am running a Leupold Deltapoint Pro optic.  I tried running it on a pic rail but it was entirely too high for my liking so I ordered a Sumtoy mount that should solve that issue.  Gun shoots great other than the hang up on the Fed shells.  It operates flawlessly with everything else I have tried in it...for some reason the fed shells are a tad longer than other brands.

Best of luck!!
Phillippians 4:13

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 09:32:37 PM »
Moosyoakpro.....thanks brother!

Keepem coming fellas. :blob10:

Offline sbe2shooter

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 10:45:20 AM »
Mine has sumtoy mount with a Vortex Venom. Trulock ported .585 is money from 0 to 40 with tss 9s. No need for a super tight choke

Offline TKE921

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 03:03:50 PM »
I too have the standard affinity.  I got it in the winter on sale, as the newer 3 series was coming out.  I used it to shoot skeet and rabbits before I made it a dedicated turkey gun and have zero complaints about how it shot with the standard chokes or the aftermarket briley chokes I used.  I sent it to sumtoy to have his mount installed and a 570 choke made.  I never shot the bead and the sumtoy choke so I can't comment on poa/poi there.  The gun has cycled everything I have put through it...though I have not shot the federal tss shells.  Here is a pic when I first got it back from sumtoy and put the Fastfire on.

Pattern-wise I get about a bowling/volley ball sized pattern at 30 and usually between high 250s to just over/under 300 in 10" at 40, when using apex 9s

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 09:01:20 PM »
SBE & TKE.....thank both of you guys. TKE....GOOD LOOKING RIG!

Keep the info coming gentlemen! I very much appreciate everyone’s input.

Thank you! DD  :OGturkeyhead:

Offline turkeyhunter91

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 09:11:46 PM »
I have a standard affinity. I only tried the bead up close with low brass. I had it drilled and taped and installed a sumtoy mount with a Burris ff3. I shot a few tss 9 today and it cycled another in. I tried it a couple of other times with other shells but it would cycle the tss. I read somewhere that some people didn't have trouble so I'm guessing every gun is different. I'm hoping mine is one that will cycle them. I also read on here that it is a easy fix to get them to cycle.

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 08:32:38 AM »
91.....thank you for the info sir. Have a great season. DD

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 07:46:50 PM »
Thank you all for your input this far.......please keep it coming! :blob10:

I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered a MOBL 26” barreled Affinty 3 today.....I hope to have it late week.

Is anyone running a setup for a more workable pattern that allows a little room for error at 20 and still solid at 40. If it’s TSS I have to (by law) shoot #7s , no 9s allowed. Choke construction and maker recommendations very much appreciated.

Thank you guys!  :OGturkeyhead:

Offline turkeyhunter91

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 08:31:40 PM »
with my 26 in affinity and fed heavyweight 7s it will put around 136 pellets in a paper plate at 40 yards using a 575 Carlson. the heavyweight 7s are the only experience i have shootings 7s through it.i posted a 40 yard pic in the pattern pics i dont have any pics from 20 yards though.

Offline huntinsomd

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 08:52:04 PM »
Carlson's .575 and HW or TSS 7's.   This is a 40yd pattern of 1 1/2oz HW 7 Handloads through an Affinity 20 with Carlsons .575.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 09:28:37 PM by huntinsomd »