Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

I'm most likely down to one last day.

Started by RutnNStrutn, April 10, 2020, 11:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Well, my hiatus from the Coronazone of Florida, is likely almost done. Tomorrow marks my 9th day of social distancing with the turkeys. I've been by myself in my hunt camp in SC, spending each day chasing gobblers. My only interaction with people has been over the phone, or when I go grocery shopping.
The hunting has been awful. Everyone I've talked to here in the Lowcountry has said this has been a strange season, with limited gobbling and lower harvests. That has been my exact experience, only hearing 6 gobbles, and not seeing a single turkey, not a hen or jake or gobbler, and not even driving back and forth from camp to the hunt club.
But today, I heard 3 different birds gobble, and saw a gobbler at 150 yards. It was at 1315, and he walked away gobbling at my calls. I'm sure he was with hens. I heard more gobbles today than in the previous week. The weather has also cooled off from summer like conditions.
It's going to be a washout on Sunday and Monday, adding to the standing water of a very wet fall and winter. So it looks like tomorrow will be the last hurrah for me. Wish me luck. This season was going to be awesome......before Coronapunk reared its ugly head. I doubt I'll be able to get back up before the season ends. A lot of stuff going on at home. Back to the Coronazone, and a BIG F.U.to Coronapanic, and it's evil father, Coronavirus.
I'll let you know how I do.
Good luck to those who start hunting this weekend!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

WildSpur

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Mountainburd

You gave it a good go Rut.  Maybe you can make something else work this season.  Tons of season left for Northern sates.  Lets hope these restrictions ease.

RutnNStrutn

Heard four gobblers and 2 hens on the roost this AM. I set up between the 2 closest gobblers and the hens. But after fly down, everything shut down. No gobbles, no yelps, no bird sightings. Hunted til noon. One more afternoon hunt to go.
After that it will rain here for 6 of the next 8 days. The place is already under water. That will end my SC season.
For those of you who started this weekend, best of luck brothers!!

ManfromGreenSwamp

You got this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

RutnNStrutn

Well, sad to say, but that's a wrap. Tag soup for me this season, all 11 days of it. At least the last 2 days have had some action. Got into a duel with a boss hen this afternoon, and 5 minutes later I saw her and another turkey cruise by in the woods about 100 yards out. Heard more gobbling the last 2 days than the rest of the season. Sad to have to leave now, but rain is moving in for 6 of the next 8 days, and the land is already soaked, and I didn't bring my canoe. Oh well, time to start planning for next year's rebound extravaganza!!! :icon_thumright:
F U Coronavirus!!!

TrackeySauresRex

Tough break JimBo. Break out the fishing gear bud. We've all had bad seasons. Now this flipping virus thing hanging over our heads.. Uhhhhh! B-Well Captain!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

RutnNStrutn

And of course, after driving from South Carolina back to Florida, 15 minutes from my house there are two big Osceola gobblers walking down the side of the road to rub it in my face. Go figure! All you can do is laugh!

guesswho

Dang, that sucks.   At least you killed a bunch last year, (I think).   Those easy eastern's can be stubborn at times.   Pile'em up next year! :icon_thumright:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RutnNStrutn

I might be able to slip back up to SC one more time for a rematch with those Easy Easterns!!

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RutnNStrutn