OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Looking for some tips.  (Read 1960 times)

Offline DKG

Looking for some tips.
« on: December 06, 2020, 09:53:59 PM »
I’m hoping someone out there has been in the same situation I am. I have a younger cousin that just turned 12 which is the minimum age for hunting in NY and she’s showing interest in hunting and shooting. She’s high functioning autistic and can follow rules to a T. She wants to get her hunting license and I feel like the youth spring turkey season in April would be perfect for her. Has anyone ever hunted with a child like her that could help me out with tips? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Looking for some tips.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 05:58:53 PM »
I’ve never hunted w a child like that. How great would it be to try. And if successful? It’d be perfect.
So here’s how I’d personally attack this. Yes a spring turkey hunt would be perfect. I don’t know you so forgive me for this but as long as you can show her a good hunt. I’d roost a bird the night before. If you don’t roost a bird make sure you know where some are going to be relatively early in day.
Don’t make this a marathon session. When she’s done your done.
To be honest if you’re worried about it make sure a bird roosts least she would be close her first sit.
For shooting practice start her with a .22. Let her get familiar. Inner foam hearing protectors as well as muffs. The less noise less it seems to kick.
Once you go to a shotgun shoot sparingly at first. Use something like a lead sled to take the recoil away. Don’t tell her you’re doing that. It’s just a rest. Don’t overdo the shooting here. She’s inexperienced. Give her time.
YOU pattern her gun, away from her eyes. She doesn’t need to see the pounding turkey loads can put out. Perhaps if you think the shot will be close a pheasant load might work. Know effective range of the load. She shoots reduced loads at paper than come hunting you give her the proper loads. A red dot might be easiet for her. A scope could hit her, teaching her to line sights is sometimes tough at first. A bead if used you need to make sure the gun throws a straight pattern and her head stays down. Practice different shoot positions. Tell her how to act/react. Prepare her for all situations.
Guns now have advantages/disadvantages. A semi often kicks less, it’s a little more dangerous as it self loads a new round. You need to control any potential safety issues. A pump or single shot is lighter but may kick more. If it’s an older gun the stock prob drops too much and will kick more. The gun should fit her. Needs to be youth gun. All these considerations. Another, stay away from hammer guns if possible. Cold wet inexperienced fingers won’t have the dexterity your a do.
I’ve never helped a child like this but have mentored many kids through NWTF, and privately. If I can help w anything pm me. If you can pull this off safely God bless you for trying.

Offline DKG

Looking for some tips.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 06:05:48 PM »
I’ve never hunted w a child like that. How great would it be to try. And if successful? It’d be perfect.
So here’s how I’d personally attack this. Yes a spring turkey hunt would be perfect. I don’t know you so forgive me for this but as long as you can show her a good hunt. I’d roost a bird the night before. If you don’t roost a bird make sure you know where some are going to be relatively early in day.
Don’t make this a marathon session. When she’s done your done.
To be honest if you’re worried about it make sure a bird roosts least she would be close her first sit.
For shooting practice start her with a .22. Let her get familiar. Inner foam hearing protectors as well as muffs. The less noise less it seems to kick.
Once you go to a shotgun shoot sparingly at first. Use something like a lead sled to take the recoil away. Don’t tell her you’re doing that. It’s just a rest. Don’t overdo the shooting here. She’s inexperienced. Give her time.
YOU pattern her gun, away from her eyes. She doesn’t need to see the pounding turkey loads can put out. Perhaps if you think the shot will be close a pheasant load might work. Know effective range of the load. She shoots reduced loads at paper than come hunting you give her the proper loads. A red dot might be easiet for her. A scope could hit her, teaching her to line sights is sometimes tough at first. A bead if used you need to make sure the gun throws a straight pattern and her head stays down. Practice different shoot positions. Tell her how to act/react. Prepare her for all situations.
Guns now have advantages/disadvantages. A semi often kicks less, it’s a little more dangerous as it self loads a new round. You need to control any potential safety issues. A pump or single shot is lighter but may kick more. If it’s an older gun the stock prob drops too much and will kick more. The gun should fit her. Needs to be youth gun. All these considerations. Another, stay away from hammer guns if possible. Cold wet inexperienced fingers won’t have the dexterity your a do.
I’ve never helped a child like this but have mentored many kids through NWTF, and privately. If I can help w anything pm me. If you can pull this off safely God bless you for trying.
Thank you very much. We’ve been working on her with .22s and slowly moving her up as she feels comfortable and she is very well versed in safety. She’s been wearing ear muffs as well as plugs. My designated turkey gun is a single shot NEF 20 gauge and I’ve been trying to find a 20 gauge or .410 pump that I can put a youth stock on for her. I have an area that I know has birds but I will be roosting more when it gets closer to the youth season. I was able to get my hands on the Winchester AA target loads that are shooting about 980fps so I’ll use those to get her started once we get to the shotgun if all I can find is a 20. I also load my own and have data for a well performing buffered 1oz load so that will probably be the shell she uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Looking for some tips.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 06:16:17 PM »
Very good I load real light target loads initially. Anything you’re not sure about I’ll try n help.