turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What are some "tricks you use?"

Started by Marc, April 10, 2020, 10:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntineveryday

There are times to be patient and call less...but if I can get a hen talking to me, I call to her and try and get her fired up. I figure if I can get a hen fired up and in my decoys cutting and making a lot of racket, and I'm matching that,  well, that's a lot of excited turkey sounds filling the air. And I've shot gobblers doing it enough that I'll keep doing it.

I actually had a hen gobble at me doing that last year, and then I shot a silent gobbler that had given me the slip several times.

eggshell

Tricks - tell the guy that just pulled in that you heard a bunch of birds down the road yesterday.

As for the rest it's all hunting strategies.

Cut N Run

Quote from: eggshell on February 27, 2021, 06:25:08 AM

I suppose too, you are talking solo, because if I am with someone, I will start crawling on all 4 away calling as I go if he's hung up out of site. Play hard to get ya know.

^^This works great on a hung up gobbler if you can get away with it.  I've had gobblers that flat out refused to commit and stayed hung up over an hour.  Tag team him by leaving the shooter in the original position and having the caller drift off away like the hen is tired of wasting her time on the gobbler's foolishness & is ready for action.  More often than not it forces his hand and breaks him out of being hung up and into range.

Not really a trick, but I like to turn my watch face to the inside of my wrist.  It is easier to just glance down to check time than to turn your arm over and try to move jacket, shirt, or gloves unnoticed.

Carry a few dark colored zip ties or strands of wire in your vest to help hold branches out of the way or quickly add some cover exactly where you need it.  Either can also be used to secure a tag in place or as an emergency boot lace.

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

Mallard1897

Quote from: eggshell on February 28, 2021, 08:01:40 AM
Tricks - tell the guy that just pulled in that you heard a bunch of birds down the road yesterday.

As for the rest it's all hunting strategies.
^This.
Then the guy asks "Hear'n any turkey's in here?" and you reply "Nope." followed shortly after by birds gobbling.

Guess you could call it a shock gobble trick for preseason scouting since it almost always seems to "work"...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Cull_none

If I'm gonna set up one during the day I'll click cutt and purr while kicking leaves trying to get him amped up and then just shut up. I especially like to do that when he might be on an opposite ridge or hillside I can't access. Hard to beat just scratching leaves too

Dtrkyman

Learn to shoot with your off hand, lucky for me I am ambidextrous so it comes easy.  Have killed a few birds over the years that snuck in quiet on the wrong side!

TonyTurk

Hunt all day if you can.  Don't leave mid-morning like a lot of folks do.  Pack a sandwich and candy bar in your vest and hunt til dark if your state allows it.  I've tagged a good number of birds later in the day.  Can't kill em from the house!

High plains drifter

Quote from: g8rvet on April 10, 2020, 05:11:11 PM
My best tactic is to bumble and stumble around in the woods until I find a turkey so dang dumb and so dang, well, looking for love, that my calls sound good and he is willing and dumb enough to come in and die.  Just have to wear out some shoe leather to find 'em.
There id no need to be vulgar.

Turkeyman

If you're walking along on public and you hear a couple unseen guys coming along behind you shake a gobble call at them then continue on your way. That will plant them for awhile.

GobbleNut

Quote from: High plains drifter on March 16, 2021, 10:54:05 PM
My best tactic is to bumble and stumble around in the woods until I find a turkey so dang dumb and so dang, well, looking for love, that my calls sound good and he is willing and dumb enough to come in and die.  Just have to wear out some shoe leather to find 'em.

?????????????????????....     ::) :z-dizzy:  I suppose I should just let this pass,...but sorry, I just don't get it.....Is there a joke there that I am missing?....

TRG3

Hunting small wood lots often requires that I set up early and stay for several hours, waiting for a gobbler to make his way to me. Needing to move my legs, take a leak, etc. is all hidden due to the 3'x10' camo screen that I set up in front of me. I've even set up the screen next to a fence where there's no other cover and it works fine as the gobbler is concentrating on my decoys. The camo screen, plus a comfortable ground chair, are the tickets for me in my way of hunting.

g8rvet

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 18, 2021, 08:30:42 AM
Quote from: High plains drifter on March 16, 2021, 10:54:05 PM

?????????????????????....     ::) :z-dizzy:  I suppose I should just let this pass,...but sorry, I just don't get it.....Is there a joke there that I am missing?....
I don't get it either!!???!!!????!??!?!?!?!
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Chris O

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on April 10, 2020, 05:02:38 PM
Quote from: guesswho on April 10, 2020, 04:56:03 PM
22-250    J/K
Now that's funny. If you can't laugh at that you need to leave. Anyway to answer the question, these days I don't answer a gobbler much. In other words, when I strike one I just wait two or three minutes with no sound. If he gobbles more while I'm waiting I stay silent. After a minute or two I'll just make a plain hen yelp with a few clucks and purrs thrown in. Every time he gobbles I wait at least one to two minutes to answer him. Or I may just ignore him and make quiet clucks, purrs, and leaf scratching. Basically sending the message that I'm not overly interested in him, and he will have to come find me. Drives a lot of birds nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I work birds much the same way. I call more frequently when calling blind than when I am working a bird.