OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What are some "tricks you use?"  (Read 14689 times)

Offline Bamaslayer757

Re: What are some "tricks you use?"
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2021, 12:33:59 AM »
Couple of things...I can run my diaphragm and natural mouth calling while running a box call to imitate a small flock of hens which works well.

Another is throw in some jake yelps on a bird with hens and you just might get him to get a little jealous.

Too many people will just yell at a gobbler when he’s close...I will switch to whines and purrs with both the diaphragm and natural mouth to really work em in close.

Lastly, too many people do the mechanical yelps or competition yelps...listen to a real hen and she will break her yelps up in sequence and have a delayed note or two...makes it wayyy more realistic and really will drive an old southern bird wild if you break up your yelps with clucks or delays etc

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2021, 01:36:03 AM »
My best tactic is to bumble and stumble around in the woods until I find a turkey so dang dumb and so dang, well, looking for love, that my calls sound good and he is willing and dumb enough to come in and die.  Just have to wear out some shoe leather to find 'em.
When I get desperate, I also employ the tactic of calling in such a way that I sound like a hooker on Friday night that’s late on the rent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This thread and this hooker comment made me think of this video.... it's called the Nikki Minaj....  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF3fKQSCmrY

I suppose too, you are talking solo, because if I am with someone, I will start crawling on all 4 away calling as I go if he's hung up out of site. Play hard to get ya know.
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline btomlin

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2021, 09:46:25 AM »
The silent treatment has produced a lot of the stubborn turkeys for me over the years like many other hunters.  I also employ some hen conversations.  I have had good success with running multiple calls at once.  A mouth call and slate or box in a conversation, not just noise.  Start out with some clucks/purrs between a couple ladies conversing about life, maybe eventually get into a raspy trash talking jerry springer "I take care of my man better than you take care of my man" type deal, and then go into "we don't need no stinking man" quiet silence.  It has been a real producer on the knuckleheads.  :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 11:17:58 AM by btomlin »

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2021, 10:57:17 AM »
Start out with some clucks/purrs between a couple ladies conversing about life, maybe eventually get into a raspy trash talking jerry springer "I take care of my man better than you care of my man" type deal, and then go into "we don't need no stinking man" quiet silence.  It has been a real producer on the knuckleheads.  :)
Wonderful analogy!
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2021, 10:59:17 AM »
I don't think this is much of a trick, but if I have had a chance to pattern and roost birds here, I set up between where they are and where they "have been" wanting to go.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2021, 12:14:51 PM »
Soft quavers and whistles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2021, 12:36:24 PM »
The best trick I have ever found is simply finding a gobbler that wants to die.  Find one of those and you usually don't have to worry about any other tricks.   ;D

Offline hotspur

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2021, 05:31:00 PM »
Switch calls , is a good  trick

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2021, 09:53:56 AM »
My biggest trick is to bring a book on the slow days.  I'll call maybe every 15 minutes. A dead morning at flydown can suddenly get hot at 9 or 10.

Another trick is a version of that. When it is windy in the afternoon, I'll go out and work a loud box call every 15 minutes or so and throw the call as far as I can.  Sometimes it takes 3-4 hours for a gobbler to come in, but one often does.

Other tricks I have used successfully:

I have gotten up and halfed the distance between me and a recalcitrant gob.  He came in like his life depended on it.

I regularly use a pushpin call and give an angry purr to a hen that comes in on me.  It usually does not scare off the gob that's coming in, but it makes the hen go away.

I've done end-arounds where I move out and around a gob and hens and set up ahead of them.

I have used my deer blinds to hunt turkeys in the rain. This is a heck of a lot better than staying home.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2021, 11:17:27 AM »
Silence is Golden on the finicky ones. I call very little on a regular day. If I know a tough one is in my area, I will do soft tree yelps right at daybreak, fly down cackle in leaves with real wing. If he gobbles once, I am done. I will scratch leaves, fluff wings, and sit pretty much silent. Tough birds have been hunted, and know the game. Natural scratching, wing fluffs, and silence have brought these guys in for me. I have sat for 3 or more hours to get one, but it does pay off......great thread....
“Solo hunter”

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2021, 10:59:57 PM »
Switch calls , is a good  trick
^ This.  I killed one of my best gobblers with this trick.  Oh yeah I also moved three times on him.  Took about 2 1/2 hours from first gobble to gun shot!  What a blast!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2021, 11:16:20 PM »
The best tricks are really no tricks at all.  Sit still.  No I mean REALLY sit still!  Also Patience, turkeys don't wear watches.  They are in no hurry they have all day to do whatever it is they do.  I messed up more in my early years turkey hunting by not doing either one of these things very well.   One very effective trick I did learn though was scratching in the leaves!  Pulled my heaviest(23 pounds) Pa. gobbler in the last 75 yards with that one. That was the first time I heard the Spit and Drum, WOW!!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2021, 11:30:54 AM »

This thread and this hooker comment made me think of this video.... it's called the Nikki Minaj....  ;D

I suppose too, you are talking solo, because if I am with someone, I will start crawling on all 4 away calling as I go if he's hung up out of site. Play hard to get ya know.
[/quote]
 :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2021, 11:18:52 PM »
The best trick I have ever found is simply finding a gobbler that wants to die.  Find one of those and you usually don't have to worry about any other tricks.   ;D

I agree 100%.  I was just reading the responses,  and I only have one trick.   And, it is walk and call until you finally find a bird that wants to run in and die quickly.   

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2021, 06:25:08 AM »

[/quote]

Us O-HI-a boys know how to be sexy. If it hain't comin you hain't being sexy nouf