OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What are some "tricks you use?"  (Read 14690 times)

Offline longbow59

Re: What are some "tricks you use?"
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 08:37:33 PM »
Quit calling!

Offline Uncle Tom

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2020, 08:29:35 AM »
22-250    J/K
Now that’s funny. If you can’t laugh at that you need to leave. Anyway to answer the question, these days I don’t answer a gobbler much. In other words, when I strike one I just wait two or three minutes with no sound. If he gobbles more while I’m waiting I stay silent. After a minute or two I’ll just make a plain hen yelp with a few clucks and purrs thrown in. Every time he gobbles I wait at least one to two minutes to answer him. Or I may just ignore him and make quiet clucks, purrs, and leaf scratching. Basically sending the message that I’m not overly interested in him, and he will have to come find me. Drives a lot of birds nuts. Exactly spot on there, that is all that it takes...clucks and purrs....killed one last year that came all way across a huge pasture to few clucks purrs...first saw him at 200+ yds and he came directly to me with no more calls once I saw him....they can hear a cluck at several hundred yards and scratching in leaves also. That hearing is amazing. I like to make a cluck trying to cut him off at the end of his gobble...believe he can't tell exactly where it came from if timed just right...especially if he coming in and like a ways off....hit him at very end of the gobble...then go quiet....gun up and ready...deadly tactic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2020, 09:14:25 AM »
It`s not a " trick " I suppose in the purest sense of the word, but PATIENCE. Even if they don`t come in, they know where you are if you`ve had any kind of conversation with them. They might wander off with hens, for example. Often, not always, but often they`ll be back. Took about an hour  and a half this past Friday.

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2020, 10:07:43 AM »
22-250    J/K

I'm more of a 5.56 with a 30 round mag guy myself, but to each their own.

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2020, 12:05:03 PM »
I really don't use ANY "tricks".

It ain't a "trick" if it's something you've found to be an effective method through decades of trying different things.  I have a bag FULL of "effective methods".  But, like someone else said........... If I told you........well...........you know............

;D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2020, 08:40:11 PM »
I stay seated for at least 30 minutes after my last calling sequence. Been bust more than one time by a Tom coming in silent.

Online wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2020, 11:46:57 AM »
I stay seated for at least 30 minutes after my last calling sequence. Been bust more than one time by a Tom coming in silent.

i always do this.  if i decide to move or quit i stop and look at watch and wait 30 minutes

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2020, 12:55:33 PM »

That`s a good thing to do. Last Friday I`d been conversing with a bird that shut up and moved off with hens. About an hour to an hour and a half later I heard what I`m pretty sure was him gobble quite a ways off ( had to be well over 100 yards ). I yelped to him to let him know I was still there. Not a sound, or at least if he answered, I didn`t hear him. About 10 minutes or so later he gobbled again. About 30 yards behind me! He came all that way as quiet as a mouse. It worked out that he went home with me. Lesson: Patience kills ( at least sometimes! ).

Offline WorkingBirds

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2020, 05:37:25 PM »
When all else fails, put an amplifier on the feeder motor...  :)  :)

:agreed: LOL

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2020, 06:24:52 PM »

Works good when calling predators too.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2020, 09:54:34 AM »
If I’ve been sitting and blind calling for a while and get ready to go I tell myself “15more minutes” then whenever I get ready to get up I usually do a short soft Yelp then follow it with a quick short cut just to test the area in case a bird had heard my calls and was coming in silent to maybe solicite a gobble from him that way I don’t stand up with a bird somewhere close.

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2020, 02:17:46 AM »
if you have to rip your own underwear off to wipe your azz make sure to put the waistband on some barbed wire fence for a good laugh

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2020, 11:41:57 AM »
Go with your first thought or gut instinct. Two many times I've over analyzed or over thought things and talked myself out of doing the right thing.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2020, 11:51:07 AM »
When shooting 12 gauge, 3.5" shells, make sure yer pinch of Copenhagen is in your left cheek. For you right handed fellows anyways.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline 3chunter

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2021, 12:00:34 AM »
Scratch....scratch, scratch.  In the leaves that is.  Lol.