OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Ranging turkeys/ determining shot oportunities  (Read 4169 times)

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Ranging turkeys/ determining shot oportunities
« on: April 09, 2020, 05:32:06 PM »
Here is another Scenario question.

How many carry rang finders turkey hunting. Do you determine range before a gobbler comes in? What are some tips to knowing when to shoot that gobbler?

For me I like my birds between 25 and 30 yards, with my gun I still have a dense pattern that is open enough to allow a little wiggle. I usually determine what 30-35 yards is when I first set up by using natural markers like trees. I have carried a range finder when hunting open fields as that is where I misjudge most.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Ranging turkeys/ determining shot oportunities
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 06:07:48 PM »
I carry a rock with a string out to 40 yards walk around the shooting area of my blind and put a decoy at about the middle of that far area and in about the center of that area. Anything between them is in my range.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:33:44 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline richard black

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 06:21:25 PM »
I carry a 6x Nikon rangefinder. I also like to range different objects after setting up. I find it very helpful and eliminates some of the guesswork when a gobbler comes in. I also like the 6x magnification as the old eyes aren’t what they used to be.  They are compact and take up less room that binos.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 06:51:37 PM »
I use the bead on my shotgun, if the Gobblers head is the same size as the bead or bigger he is within range 40 yards or less. Takes zero extra movement don’t have to carry anything extra and works 100% of the time doesn’t matter if the Gobbler is up hill down hill standing in the brush the bead and his head will be the same relative size compared to the distance. Some Gobblers obviously have slightly bigger or smaller heads but not enough to  make a difference.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline DP42912

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 06:59:24 PM »
I use the bead on my shotgun, if the Gobblers head is the same size as the bead or bigger he is within range 40 yards or less. Takes zero extra movement don’t have to carry anything extra and works 100% of the time doesn’t matter if the Gobbler is up hill down hill standing in the brush the bead and his head will be the same relative size compared to the distance. Some Gobblers obviously have slightly bigger or smaller heads but not enough to  make a difference.
I’ve never heard of that, will have to try it, keeping it simple thanks.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 07:54:23 PM »
All I need is my scope! It has the "range" built in to it. The Circle of Death

I have a few other ways, but just goes by my set.

MK M GOBL

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 08:09:02 PM »
I’ve never heard of that, will have to try it, keeping it simple thanks.

You will have to check your site on a life sized Gobbler head target, barrel length and bead size will also effect the size/distance. Goes without saying you can’t just use any bead without testing first. But they make many different bead sizes and they are cheap so finding a combo that works should be no problem

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 08:11:52 PM »
All I need is my scope! It has the "range" built in to it. The Circle of Death

I have a few other ways, but just goes by my set.

MK M GOBL
Good grief. Is there anyway you could weigh all your accouterments used to kill a turkey? I’d really like to know how much you carry around in decoys,chairs, blinds, and who knows what else. I’ll ballpark a guess of 50 pounds?

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 09:05:40 PM »
I am attempting to kill a bird with a pellet rifle this year, and range is a bit more important....  Guns shoots dead flat at 20-30 yards, and a hair low at 40 (still withing the size of a quarter)...  Also due to some barrel drop (which I will address after the season) it shoots low at 10-15 yards (enough that I will have to compensate for).

What I have found using a range-finder is that I was over-estimating how far birds were.  Terrain can play tricks on you as well.  I now immediately range find some terrain markers, and have a good idea of where I need to put the cross-hairs on any given bird...  What I have also found is that after a few times of practicing this, that the range-finder is becoming less and less necessary, and I am generally able to gauge distance within a yard or two out to 40 yards.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 09:27:30 PM »
Good grief. Is there anyway you could weigh all your accouterments used to kill a turkey? I’d really like to know how much you carry around in decoys,chairs, blinds, and who knows what else. I’ll ballpark a guess of 50 pounds?

All I know is I'm anywhere from 20 to 50+ more pounds going out. (this double went 54lbs 6oz)

"A few details on these longbeards :) Bird on the left#1 weighed in at 28lbs 4oz / 1 1/8" spurs / 11 3/4" beard and #2 was 26lbs 2oz / 1 1/8" spur (the other was busted up) / 10 5/8" beard. YUP!!!"

MK M GOBL

Offline DaMitch

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 11:20:59 AM »
I have always carried a range finder so from my blind I range a few trees or rocks and such for max distance.  Old eyes do not guess well any longer.  What a brace of turkey Mister.  Those are some good looking birds.  Kudo's

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 01:29:05 PM »
I carry a rangefinder because I hunt an area with large ag fields that are easy to misjudge distances.

Offline model94

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 09:43:45 AM »
I use a range finder. I hunt the central Forrest and I range trees for max distances at new spots.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 10:53:39 AM »
Yep, I`ve used one to range objects to use as reference points. I have an almost unreasonable fear of shooting at a bird too far and crippling him. If I`m setting a decoy, it`s also an excellent range marker as well.

Offline POk3s

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 12:24:14 PM »
My method isn't very scientific. If it feels too far, I don't shoot.

I keep both eyes open to be able to tell depth perception and there's usually a time when he's coming in where I say "okay I feel comfortable from here" and really settle into the shot. Honestly if he was "in range" and I didn't take the shot it doesn't bother me. I know that bird was on the edge of "in range" anyway. I did give my buddy some greif last year though as I called a jake and longbeard off the limb. The longbeard hung up and I was practically screaming at him to shoot but he was in front of me. He finally shot the closer jake and I said "DIDN'T WANT THE LONGBEARD HUH!?" He had his rangefinder so i told him to range it....39 yards hahahaha. He said "man I thought that was like 60!"