OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is it me, the call, or both?

Started by Tomcatrav, April 09, 2020, 01:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomcatrav

Hey fellas.

I have had  a Pittman LBD trumpet for a couple years.  I have watched every video I could find on how to play it.  I've spent 10-20 hours working on it. At best, I'm not terrible with it, but I doubt a turkey would be very impressed with my sound.

Do I get another make/style of trumpet?
Thoughts on better technique/practice?
Am I just not a trumpet guy?

Thanks in advance!

Terry

Not the easiest trumpet to learn on, not that it can't be done but there is certainly easier playing trumpets

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

ol bob

Get a recorder and record your self outside what you hear will playing is not what a turkey hears.\, and by the way you can sound real bad and still kill turkeys with a trumpet,

merocustomcalls

I bought one of those when they came on the market a few years ago.  I think it is a bit restrictive and difficult to get good clean yelps out of without being perfectly lined up on the mouthpiece.  I find my trumpets to be more forgiving and easier to produce a rollover yelp.  Of course I am biased.  My trumpets do start a twice the price of the LBD.

model94

I have one of Brian Mero's trumpets and it is very easy to play, the craftsmanship is excellent and it is a great value!

crow

Quote from: model94 on April 09, 2020, 11:02:31 PM
I have one of Brian Mero's trumpets and it is very easy to play, the craftsmanship is excellent and it is a great value!

Brian makes a very easy trumpet to play, nice roll over into the yelp, draws air easy, sounds like a turkey and sharp looking.

any suction yelper is going to take a commitment of your time, but it's a lot easier to learn on one where the call maker got the internals correct

Chris O

I agree with what everyone has said. You can probably kill turkeys with your calling. Sounds like you just haven't practiced that much. Spend some more time with it and recording yourself helps. Practice the soft calling this teaches you that you don't need that much air to make it run. It's always fun to buy new calls but I bought too many when I first started and slowed my learning process. Lip stop positioning was the most confusing for me. I was constantly moving it trying to get the sound. Don't worry about the lip stop as much As I did set it to where it's a comfortable amount of your top lip on the call, roughly the thickness of your top lip and just play it. Once you are sounding more like a turkey then you can start adjusting it. Have fun I love playing them and wish I would have used them from the very start of my turkey hunting.

Tomcatrav

Thanks to everyone for their help. I contacted Brian and I have a new trumpet on its way.  Really excited to get started.  I'm sure I'll be back with questions later.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: model94 on April 09, 2020, 11:02:31 PM

X2
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion