OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best sling for turkey gun?  (Read 15130 times)

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Best sling for turkey gun?
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2020, 11:02:17 PM »
Claw contour for me.

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2020, 07:41:54 AM »
i really like the limbsaver "kodiak air" is similar to claw
My son just got me one of these Kodiak Air slings for Father's Day - it's a great sling.  I have been using Claw slings and like them, but I do appreciate the very quiet quick-release hinges and the lighter weight of the Kodiak Air - 3 ounces lighter than the Claw sling with the handle removed from the Kodiak Air, and the same weight as the Claw with the handle on.
It is a better all around sling.It just does not get the hype that "The Claw" does....marketing It got me as well with "The Claw"..... :)

Offline decoykrvr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2020, 12:32:53 PM »
If you've never used a Vero Vellini sling you don't just how good a sling can be.  Nylon covered neoprene w/ leather or nylon ends which is light weight, non-slip, durable, but the best feature is the expansion/flex which takes the weight out of you rifle or shotgun while walking.  Vellini also makes the most comfortable binocular neck strap on the market.  The only drawback are the somewhat tacky Vero Vellini tabs which I always remove and replace w/ brass rivets or brass Chicago threaded studs.  I've got a blaze orange sling for my deer rifles and green, brown and camo for shotguns.  Several years ago, I was given a Quake sling, a good sling,  with which I hunted on a couple of trips, but it was not as comfortable as my Vellini slings and I gave it to a friend.

Offline kennedyh1990

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2020, 11:21:50 AM »
I'm another vote for Slogan Outdoor sling. The best in my opinion.
^^^ switched from a claw to the Slogan Outdoor sling and absolutely love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2020, 08:34:02 PM »
If you've never used a Vero Vellini sling you don't just how good a sling can be.  Nylon covered neoprene w/ leather or nylon ends which is light weight, non-slip, durable, but the best feature is the expansion/flex which takes the weight out of you rifle or shotgun while walking.  Vellini also makes the most comfortable binocular neck strap on the market.  The only drawback are the somewhat tacky Vero Vellini tabs which I always remove and replace w/ brass rivets or brass Chicago threaded studs.  I've got a blaze orange sling for my deer rifles and green, brown and camo for shotguns.  Several years ago, I was given a Quake sling, a good sling,  with which I hunted on a couple of trips, but it was not as comfortable as my Vellini slings and I gave it to a friend.

Agreed, love these slings.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline PawleysJim

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2020, 06:30:55 PM »
I've got old drooping shoulders, I'm going to try this; not fancy...

https://alpineproducts.com/product/dual-sling-rifle-sling/

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2020, 12:44:30 PM »
Another vote for the Claw sling although i'm not a fan of the supplied swivels. I replaced mine with the metal uncle mikes locking ones. Also use the Boonie packer safari sling and love that one also. Nice and wide, they stay put on your shoulder and don't slip. Plus they can be used to sling gun in front of chest, which feature wouldn't be of much use turkey hunting, but is nice when duck hunting when standing in water. Keeps gun at ready while freeing up hands to use calls.

Offline hoythunter

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2020, 06:16:16 PM »
I have been running the limbsaver kodiak air for a few years. After seeing all the love the claw gets I wanted to try one. Got one at Wal Mart for 16 dollars and some change. I do like it and would recommend it but I still like the limbsaver better. The claw being thicker makes it feel bulky to me.

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2020, 09:39:20 PM »
 I really like Claw.  Got 3 of them on various guns

Offline fmf

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2020, 09:42:01 PM »
I prefer butler creek slings over my claw slings but both are solid for a shotgun.I also have a few that I purchased from cabelas a few years back that are excellent,thick neoprene and comfortable.

those butler creek seem to have just the perfect amount of grip and elasticity for me.  perfect for over the shoulder or robin hood

Offline gaswamp

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2021, 06:35:37 AM »
I bought the limbsaver sling recently.  I can see how it would be very comfortable.  However, I like to remove my slings when Im setting up and the screw in to swivel does not allow that

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2021, 11:43:08 AM »
My brother bought he and I one of those rubber slings made by SLOGAN OUTDOORS. I never really used it until this duck season but it will be going on my Turkey gun. Holds extremely well, not very wide, and has a double strap that can be worn on both shoulders that would make it like a backpack but won’t interfere with your Turkey vest in the back. I’ve been missing the boat by not usisng it more

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2021, 11:54:13 AM »
I bought the limbsaver sling recently.  I can see how it would be very comfortable.  However, I like to remove my slings when Im setting up and the screw in to swivel does not allow that
Yes, I agree that it isn't as easy to take off and put on in the field. I think It would be easier for a woman with fingernails. :funnyturkey:

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2021, 10:26:25 PM »
Claw
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2021, 08:30:11 PM »
best sling God ever made was my bare hands.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."