Quote from: Greg Massey on April 17, 2020, 10:30:40 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 17, 2020, 09:54:03 PM
Quote from: falltoms on April 17, 2020, 09:51:33 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 17, 2020, 09:20:09 PM
Quote from: falltoms on April 17, 2020, 07:34:42 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 17, 2020, 03:33:10 PM
Quote from: falltoms on April 17, 2020, 02:25:29 PM
If a box call is properly tuned, you don't need  chalk

I am not expert but I am not sure this makes any sense, it would seem no chalk would cause more friction to the point of deteriorating the rails and causing bad spots on the lid. I know there are calls made of stuff that does not need to be chalked, I am not sure that is wood though and do not believe all calls can be run without it.
I make my own box calls, I don't sell, just for my own use.  The only time I use chalk anymore is while tuning.  I put some on the paddle, give a couple strokes to see that I'm hitting the Whole side rail, the chalk will show you. If not, I sand and repeat until it does,  if you have the right type of wood,  and pay attention to the grain orientation,  you Do Not need chalk.  That being said, I've not bought any commercially made boxes in years, can't say for them.

The only "commercially made" box I own is the Woodhaven Ninja hen I won here 2 years ago and it requires chalk. I would bet your calls degrade faster, I could be wrong but it just does not seem to make sense to me that they would not. That said I would not go on a forum and suggest to somebody not to use chalk, it could wind up they destroy a call they saved a long time to get because of that advise. Not trying to insult, but that is just my take on it.

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 17, 2020, 08:20:04 PM
I am not expert but I am not sure this makes any sense, it would seem no chalk would cause more friction to the point of deteriorating the rails and causing bad spots on the lid. I know there are calls made of stuff that does not need to be chalked, I am not sure that is wood though and do not believe all calls can be run without it.
X2 .. i so agree ... good point and post ..
Thank you Greg.
Im not suggesting non chalk use to ruin someone's call, where on earth did u come up with that. A box call works on FRICTION, wood to wood,  chalk only impedes that. You wouldn't chalk the end of a wooden sticker to play on a slate or glass call. Use all the chalk you want, I simply stated a fact. I definitely didnt intend my statement to ruin someone's call that's absurd . I've played box calls for years without chalk, they sound as good now as when made them
I never said you were, you need to reread what I typed.
I guess that's why he makes his own and doesn't sell them  .. LOL..
That's a pretty cheap shot Greg. I make them for my own use. I simply gave the OP a tip. Try it . But if it makes you two feel better about yourselves you guys know it all. By the way Greg , I can buy any box call i want, i  get personal satisfaction making my own calls. If I played one for you , you probably wouldn't recognize it , because it sounds like the real thing. Lol.

model94

I use Primos reddish  box call chalk. I works well

Greg Massey

Quote from: falltoms on April 18, 2020, 09:38:37 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on April 17, 2020, 10:30:40 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 17, 2020, 09:54:03 PM
Quote from: falltoms on April 17, 2020, 09:51:33 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 17, 2020, 09:20:09 PM
Quote from: falltoms on April 17, 2020, 07:34:42 PM

I make my own box calls, I don't sell, just for my own use.  The only time I use chalk anymore is while tuning.  I put some on the paddle, give a couple strokes to see that I'm hitting the Whole side rail, the chalk will show you. If not, I sand and repeat until it does,  if you have the right type of wood,  and pay attention to the grain orientation,  you Do Not need chalk.  That being said, I've not bought any commercially made boxes in years, can't say for them.

The only "commercially made" box I own is the Woodhaven Ninja hen I won here 2 years ago and it requires chalk. I would bet your calls degrade faster, I could be wrong but it just does not seem to make sense to me that they would not. That said I would not go on a forum and suggest to somebody not to use chalk, it could wind up they destroy a call they saved a long time to get because of that advise. Not trying to insult, but that is just my take on it.

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 17, 2020, 08:20:04 PM
X2 .. i so agree ... good point and post ..
Thank you Greg.
Im not suggesting non chalk use to ruin someone's call, where on earth did u come up with that. A box call works on FRICTION, wood to wood,  chalk only impedes that. You wouldn't chalk the end of a wooden sticker to play on a slate or glass call. Use all the chalk you want, I simply stated a fact. I definitely didnt intend my statement to ruin someone's call that's absurd . I've played box calls for years without chalk, they sound as good now as when made them
I never said you were, you need to reread what I typed.
I guess that's why he makes his own and doesn't sell them  .. LOL..
That's a pretty cheap shot Greg. I make them for my own use. I simply gave the OP a tip. Try it . But if it makes you two feel better about yourselves you guys know it all. By the way Greg , I can buy any box call i want, i  get personal satisfaction making my own calls. If I played one for you , you probably wouldn't recognize it , because it sounds like the real thing. Lol.
No cheap shot , i'm glad you make your own. But i will still use chalk on mine ..