turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

EOTECH 65MOA recticle for Range Estimation

Started by squid, May 13, 2011, 08:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squid

This year I added a EOTECH 512 to my Remington 870 SPSt.    I really like the setup and hesitated for a long time before finally taking the plunge of adding optics to my turkey gun.   I'm hard on stuff, and tend to take the KISS approach to most things, but after a few misses from shooting in awkward positions, I anted up to the world of optics.

The site dialed in quick and I only spent about an hour on the range getting it tuned in.   I was also astonished at the before and after differences of shots inside 30 yards.   With the built in iron sites, it is very easy to cant or torque the gun and send the pattern 6-10 inches off in any direction, yet it still appeared to be a good site window.   With the EOTECH and it's parallax free design, the shot goes where the dot is, period, no matter how you hold the gun!

One of the benefits that I have discovered is the aid that this site provides in helping to estimate range.   The 65 MOA circle represents 32.5" at 50 yards.     It happens to also represent 26" at forty yards.

So here is the method, if an erect gobbler fits inside the circle, he is beyond 50 yards.   If the circle touches the tip of his head to the bottom of his feet he is at 50 yards.   If the circle covers 2/3 thirds of his height he is at 40, if the circle covers anything less than 2/3 of his height, he is well inside 40.

Wish I would have put this on a few years ago :newmascot:

TauntoHawk

sounds good! i put a fast fire II on this season and dont think I could ever use a front bead again for turkey hunting
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

harleytom

Thanks squid. Great info especially for those of us new EOTech users.

OtsdawaRidgeRunner

Yep Just got one today and was wondering about the circle!  Cant wait to get it now.

bowhunter32

have one on mossy 935... best thing since sliced bread...sumpin' bout that recticle..like it draws yur eye to it....very easy to get on target...specially on moving targets...got ff2 for ol ladys 870 20..think she'll love it 2..

busta biggun

Hey Squid this is good info, but it could be potentially misleading or inaccurate depending on where it is mounted. I would imagine that the circle will look larger or smaller depending on the distance from your eye. So if somebody has their scope mounted further down the gun, the circles going to be smaller and vice versa. I would simply recommend that each user do their own research on the range of a turkey in relation to the circle, rather than just applying your numbers.

Just a thought