turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Iowa Youth Bird

Started by chadly, April 12, 2020, 12:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

No scouting this year at all.   Too much work.  Anyway got up extra early and went to a spot that can be good during youth as it gets hit hard once regular season starts.  Never heard a bird.  We moved to another spot and there were literally hens in the parking lot and a tom 100 yards off strutting.  We also saw birds about a half mile a way which flew at the site of our truck.  We came back late afternoon.  After a half mile walk in we called and got an answer a long ways out.  We moved closed, called and got another answer.  we continue this process about five times.  The last 25 yards we belly crawled to a tree and set up.  I made a call and nothing.  Tried a few more times and nothing.  Sat about 20 minutes and nothing.  I figured we got too close and spooked him.  a few minutes later I see a red head 50 yards out and looking our way.  I had a water proof push button call I brought as it was calling for rain was thundering when we left the truck.  I gently made a purr and he started our way with two toms right behind.  He got to 25 yards at a creek bank and stuck his head up for good look and I told Joshua to shoot.  I seen his head blow backwards.  The other two birds flogged and humped him.  Stood on top of him in strut.  He started flopping and unfortunately lopped into a muddy creek which made for ugly pictures.  20.6 lbs which felt at least double that as we took turns carrying him out.  Bird had a huge head.  It was a fun hunt and great time with my son.  He was so happy as was I.

Chris O

Congrats on the bird and great memories with your son

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Yoteduster

Congrats on a really nice bird

Mathews.1

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

kyturkeyhunter4

tomstopper

Awesome congrats to the young man

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Congrats young man , great job

fishr64

Congratulations to the young man!!

MK M GOBL

JeffC