Main Menu

Meateater podcast #214

Started by Dtrkyman, April 03, 2020, 09:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on April 04, 2020, 11:03:59 AM
One of the best podcast I have heard today!!! Crazy about the owls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The owls being such a devastating predator to turkeys was shocking.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Spurs Up on April 04, 2020, 05:49:18 PM
Interesting to read what stuck with other listeners. I heard a lot of the same plus concern about the timing of seasons in heavily hunted states that open comparatively early. Something about it disrupting leks, messing up breeding, and maybe being the cause of declines in numbers of turkeys.  He said turkeys are the only bird we hunt during their mating season (except blue grouse in Alaska). I'm not sure I'm ready to wish for my state to move it's opener later, but the podcast almost made me feel guilty...
Being from the north east it made think twice before complaining how late our season feels sometime. By the 4th week of our season I'm seeing polts every year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WorkingBirds

Lots of good information, didn't realize the nest success rate was so low.

silvestris

A great podcast.  It squared with the chapter "The Preferred Male" in Kenny Morgan's "One Man Game."  The hens determine which gobbler to breed with.  I found three dead gobblers together along the Mississippi River a few years ago.  My guess then was the Great Horned Owl.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Sir-diealot

I enjoyed it for the most part.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Paulmyr

I've been trying to get the one man game on Amazon Kindle but the files are corrupt and kindle won't release it until the publisher updates the files.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

ElkTurkMan

I sure enjoyed listening to that and I learned a lot. It sure makes me appreciate wild turkeys all the more.

Sir-diealot

As mentioned in another thread he did not really say a lot that was very new, most of it was stuff that Lovett E. Williams, Jr. said 30 years ago. The most interesting thing was about how many turkeys great horned owls kill and how when the boss tom is killed they don't just mover to some other turkey.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

That's pretty interesting ...

camotoe

So when is the owl season . I read somewhere that out west they had a goal of shooting  a bunch of hoot owls because they where taking over the spotted owl territory .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk